Image

erinsheckard38

The Right Step

PROMPT: Lens Change

0

GROUP: True Stories

When she was younger, she never thought her life would turn out this way. She thought she came from a strong family, one that could withstand anything. No argument could pull them apart. It was always going to be her, her mother, and her father. That was always the promise. She loved her mother. At least she thought she did. All of that changed when she returned from the best vacation of her life only to find out that her mom was planning on leaving. On leaving her father. She didn't want to believe it, but it was plain as day. Everything was happening too fast, and before she knew it, she was being shuttled here, there, and everywhere. Before she knew it, it was time to put herself first, before the fear of what her mother would think of her. She stood in the marching band trailer, one parent at each end. She poised to take the wrong step, thought better of it, then took the right one. Towards her father. Towards comfort. Towards life. Because at the age of thirteen, she was beginning to see no point, but mow, at the age of sixteen, the world is hers, because she took the right step. She chose life, not the pain of mental torture. She chose herself.

1