Lissie

Everyone says I talk too much, but I'd like to say I'm a storyteller.

I hope to someday give someone else a home in my words the same way I found a home.

Not in the Curriculum

GROUP: True Stories

The most inspiring teacher I've ever known is still teaching me right now. I think certain lessons that were never in the curriculum will never leave me. I have confidence issues, but that's really nothing special. A lot of times I struggle to believe in myself. I don't think that what I do is worth anything. My teacher always knows what to say to make me believe in myself. I'm so doubtful of myself, but he makes me realize how much I really can do. I'll never forget when he told my class that our issue wasn't the difficulty of the material but the fact that were giving up on ourselves before we even started the test. There are certain classes I wanted to take at my school, but I didn't think I would make it in. If I hadn't mentioned it in his class, and he hadn't called me out, then I wouldn't be in that class today. He told me that I was going to struggle, but that I could handle the class. The only thing I was lacking was the drive. He told me it was ridiculous of me to think I wouldn't get into the class. Sometimes it takes a thousand failures before a single success. I know this, and I know how true it is, but it's hard for me to keep it in mind sometimes. I just feel so worthless and so invisible. However, my teacher is one of the motivators behind my continued tries. He doesn't realize it, but I strive to be better because I know him. I work harder. He makes me believe in myself. I'm pretty sure confidence in life isn't a part of a language class's curriculum, but it's a lesson I'm learning from my teacher.

• April 10, 2019 - 1:14am (Now Viewing)