Group Details

Welcome to True Stories, a group dedicated to the art of creative nonfiction and personal narrative. Memoir, chronicle, essay, investigation. There are so many wonderful ways to write about our lives. Come explore the "rooms of memory," play with perception, walk that fine line between fact and fiction. It is by writing about our lives that we come to better know ourselves. And there’s a side benefit! The tools of personal narrative will also help you write those admissions essays and cover letters, with style and flair.

You’ll love this group if you… are applying to college or university, love storytelling, or just like to observe life unfurl around you.

Announcements

• Dear True Stories group members,

In case you missed our last announcement, we are writing you once again to share some exciting news regarding the future of our group writing communities at Write the World! In order to make sure you get the most out of Write the World sub-groups, we will be retiring existing groups and launching new groups-- called Writers' Rooms-- on a rotating schedule, each lasting six weeks. 

Writers' Rooms will consist of weekly writing prompts that carry you through the progression of the writing process, from imagining potential topics to honing your final piece with an eye towards publication. Prompts will build upon one another, though you can also join at any time and respond to those that call to you. We will focus on commenting, peer reviewing, and building community as we take an in-depth look at a variety of genres and elements of craft, read accompanying resources, and dig more deeply into the writing process. Our first group, Writing for the News, will launch on March 1. We encourage you to join the group now and respond to the first prompt, “Meet & Greet,” so you’re ready to go when March arrives!

We will no longer be posting new writing prompts to True Stories. You WILL still be able to view your past writing once this group is retired; however, you WILL NOT have access to peer reviews, expert reviews, or prompts. Please download/copy any materials you wish to save by February 25th. We will retire current sub-groups on February 28th. This is the last announcement that you'll receive in this group, but we look forward to continuing our work with you through Writers' Rooms!

Please feel free to reach out to brittany@writetheworld.com if you have any questions or concerns about this transition. We look forward to engaging with you all in our new group communities, which will allow us to work together to hone our craft, connect with other writers, learn about language, and… most of all… have fun!

Sincerely,
    Your Editors
  • Dear True Stories group members,

We are writing to share some exciting news regarding the future of our group writing communities at Write the World! In order to make sure you get the most out of Write the World sub-groups, we will be retiring existing groups and launching new groups on a rotating schedule, each lasting six weeks. 

New groups will consist of weekly writing prompts that carry you through the progression of the writing process, from imagining potential topics to honing your final piece with an eye towards publication. Prompts will build upon one another, though you can also join at any time and respond to those that call to you. We will focus on commenting, peer reviewing, and building community as we take an in-depth look at a variety of genres and elements of craft, read accompanying resources, and dig more deeply into the writing process. Our first group, Writing for the News, will launch on March 1. We encourage you to join the group now and respond to the first prompt, “Meet & Greet,” so you’re ready to go when March arrives!

We will no longer be posting new writing prompts to True Stories. You WILL still be able to view your past writing once this group is retired; however, you WILL NOT have access to peer reviews, expert reviews, or prompts. Please download/copy any materials you wish to save by February 25th. We will retire current sub-groups on February 28th. 

Sincerely,
    Your Editors
  • New prompt: You're stranded on a desert island. What book is by your side?
  • New prompt: Where will you live?
  • New Prompt: Music Is...
  • New prompt: "It was the year..."
  • New prompt: Stretch your wings.
  • New prompt: Portraits from your life.
  • New prompt: Create a blueprint for change.
  • New prompt: Following the inner compass.
  • New prompt: Life inside the mind.
  • New prompt: Which animal best represents you?
  • Announcement: Where do you write?
  • New prompt: When has time collapsed?
  • New prompt: What will you write?
  • New prompt: A voice of intrusion.
  • New prompt: With one word, set an intention for the rest of the year.
  • New prompt: Your life as a movie.
  • New Prompt: What does freedom mean to you?
  • New prompt: Your life in 100 words.
  • New prompt: Screech. Hiss. Charge!
  • New prompt: How do you hope to contribute to the world?
  • New prompt: Who's in your boat?
  • New Prompt: Leaving home.
  • New prompt: To where does your favorite song transport you?
  • New prompt: Finding joy in mediocrity.
  • New prompt: Tell us, who will you be?
  • New prompt: Tell us: What fuels your writing?
  • New prompt: Write about a memory in the third person.
  • New Prompt: In what ways can stories heal?
  • New prompt: What are books to you?
  • New Prompt: Tell us-- when were you scared but brave?
  • New prompt: Who was "the most inspiring teacher [you] ever knew"?
  • New Prompt: Write about a day that was, for you, a "present."
  • New Prompt: Tell us about a great conversation you had while sitting across a table from someone else.
  • New Prompt: What memory do you hold close, dear writers?
  • New Prompt: Make a list of things that cultivate your confidence.
  • New Prompt: Share a local news story.
  • New Prompt: Pore over a family photo and describe what you see.
  • New Prompt: Begin with the line, "Ten years ago, I was probably..."
  • New Prompt: Write about writing that inspires you.
  • New Prompt: Tell us about a significant, funny, or surprising experience you've had in a car.
  • New Prompt: Capture your life in a moment.
  • New Prompt: Start an essay or memoir using footnotes to add flare.
  • New Prompt: Tell us, what did you do today?
  • New Prompt: Write about a memory in the third person.
  • New prompt: Write about a topic that ignites your curiosity.
  • New Prompt: Describe your life in 100 words.
  • New Prompt:  Share an up-close look at your favorite childhood setting.
  • New Prompt: Sometimes the littlest objects are the most meaningful. Is there a small object that you hold near and dear?
  • over 2 years ago
  • about 3 years ago
  • Thanks for joining this group! Return often to write and review the stories of our lives. We'll put up a new prompt each week.