NothingsEverGoodEnough

He/him
14 years old
Aspiring Marine biologist and author
joined September 2020
If you really like my work and show some talent yourself, I will add you to my shout out list!
Latest addition to the shout out list: DoodleNinja!

"You are gonna get judged about anything you do now. Accept who you are and keep moving forward." - Iann Dior

Hey readers and writers! My name's Nathan, and I am currently living in Fairfield, Connecticut, United States. I enjoy playing tons of sports, reading some good stories, writing stories of my own, and studying to become a marine biologist. I humbly ask you guys to read some of my pieces, and if you do I will try to read your work and give comments.If you want a review from me, just ask!
I recommend checking out wintermagic. She has some really good pieces and loves to give reviews. Make sure to check out ThunderBird(my twin brother IRL), Rohan's Defender, Ash DoodleNinja, and Stone of Jade. They are really talented writers!

Bailey McFee's Mission in Life

0
If there was leftover love in the world, it sure as heck made sure to stop and rest awhile on Bailey McFee's shoulders. I swear, this little girl hated nobody and loved everyone. She had long blonde hair that was almost always tied up in twin pigtails, her pale face was always covered with freckles no matter the season, and her smile could wear down even the strictest of adults.When she was 5, she gave a homeless couple her 1,000 dollar check she got for her birthday. Just about sprinted down the street to where those poor souls panhandled a few measly cents out of the few and far between sympathetic people. She ripped open the card, saw the contents, and was out the door within a second, I kid you not. She only hesitated to say thank you to her befuddled parents before tearing down the street, pigtails bouncing.
 Now, this girl was and still is severely nonathletic, but when you threw a poor suffering soul into the mix, that girl turned into a freaking Olympic sprinter in like point 2 seconds. 2 months after the check sprint debacle, that previously homeless family was in a small house just across the street from the McFee estate and doing well. The man had a job at the post office and the woman had a garden in the back and she sold some to the fresh produce stands on Main Street. She left some fruits and veggies on the McFee's front porch every Wednesday, without pause. As she grew older, she got tall. Real tall. She was bigger than all the girls in her 3rd grade class, and just one boy was taller. Despite the fact that segregation had just cooled down and there was still some bad blood between the two races, Bailey was everyone's friend. If a new kid moved into the school, Bailey made sure to take him or her under her wing until they were confident enough to do it on their own. Black or white, she didn't care. Everyone deserves to have a friend, and Bailey wouldn't rest until no one was lonely. She was the founder of the Kindness Klub, a group of kids that went around the town helping and supporting the unlucky and unfortunate. She would always have some cash in her back pocket for immediate financial aid if she saw anyone struggling. 
Now, let's make something clear. Bailey's parents are LOADED. Like, Forbes top 100 Billionaires in the US loaded. So this little kindhearted soul was going to inherit some serious dough when she reached the age. Already, she had a plan with what to do with the money. Most would go to charity, orphanages, and homeless shelters. She would keep the rest, but be ready to hand some cash out to anyone and anything that needed it. For that reason (and the fact she brought in a 10,000 dollar teddy bear for show and tell in the 3rd grade) everyone tried to be her best friend. Seriously, that girl was a queen. She was the biggest thing to hit Montgomery Elementary since the self-serve ice cream cart in 2016. Bailey had like 8 suitors in 4th grade, and instead of letting it all go to her head, she treated everyone the same: with the same undying kindness she displayed since day 1. But there was one kid to which her kindness never seemed to make a dent in. His name was Jeremy Springer. 
He had moved to Montgomery when he was just a little boy. His family settled down in a little shack on the outskirts of town. The mother, Dresilda, got a job at the laundromat. Nobody ever saw the father. Jeremy was dark-skinned, with short- cut black hair and a buck toothed grin, which rarely made its way past his lips on a good day. The McFee's welcomed them graciously to Montgomery, bringing gifts of food and heated blankets. The mother thanked them curtly and shut the door. At school, Bailey made it her goal to try and crack his gloomy facade and see what kind of person he was on the inside. She knew he was poor, and she always made a habit of slipping him some of her lunch money when they left the building at the end of the day. He never spoke, never changed his facial expression, never even acknowledged that she was there. It troubled Bailey. She had all this money, and yet, she felt as if she were doing nothing to help Jeremy. She vowed that the next day she saw Jeremy at school, she would strike up a conversation with him. She woke up the next morning feeling ready to break his silence and see who he truly was. This was her test. This was her mission, and she would not fail. She found him at his locker, rummaging around for his arithmetic homework. She steeled herself, and walked up to him.
"Hey Jeremy! It's me, Bailey McFee! Remember me?"
Jeremy turned from his locker to see her and nodded slowly.
"That's swell! Now, I was wondering, we have a corn maze out back at my house." She leaned in conspiratorially and Jeremy couldn't help leaning in too. " My father says he need all the corn for the harvest, but there is a path going through the corn to my secret hideaway." She wiggled her eyebrows at this. "Nobody's ever been back there, not even Mam and Pap. What do ya say? You wanna come?"
Jeremy thought for a moment, then did something he had never done in the presence of anybody else: he smiled. 
"I'd like that," he said,"I just have to tell my mom. She'll be expecting me for chores, but I bet she'll be happy that I made a friend that I'll likely be excused for the day." 
Bailey grinned and said, "See you at the end of school!"
Jeremy grinned back, exposing that gap tooth smile and waved.
After school, they met up and walked to the McFee mansion. They crept by Mr. McFee, fibbed their way past Mrs. McFee, and ran, laughing and screaming through the maze to the tree house. They scaled the rough bark and threw themselves into the base of the tree house. They lay there for 5 minutes, chests heaving, catching their breath. Then they sat up. Bailey got up and said, “so this is my tree house. I made it myself when I was 8. I’ve tidied it up over the years, but it hasn’t changed much. One time, I was up here after school one day and was so tuckered out from gym class that I fell asleep right away.” She grinned, remembering. “When I woke up, the wind was howling, and I was soaking wet. I looked out of the window and I saw rain pouring down by the bucketful. I was going to have a lot of explaining to do to my parents.” She shook her head and chuckled at the memory. “I came down with a nasty cold the next day and missed school for a week. When I came back, everybody thought I had moved or had died mysteriously.” She sat down next to Jeremy. “But enough about my life. What’s your life been like? I know you moved here maybe 5 or 6 years ago, but that’s about all I know.”
Trevor sighed and nodded. “Yep. My mom and I moved here because our house burned to the ground in the first town I lived in.” 
Bailey leaned forward, eyes wide. “Really? Wow! That’s scary!”
Jeremy nodded. “I was 5 or 6 at the time, so I didn’t know much, but I knew enough to know that fire means bad.” He smiled grimly.
Bailey, eager for more, pressed on. “Why’d they burn it?”
“Well, my mother used to be a police chief in the town. The first black police officer in the state of Tennessee. She locked up a white guy who had some very rich and angry friends. They stormed the police station and demanded that my mom let him go or they would go to our house and hurt me. My mom refused, because this guy was a convicted criminal, and the guys left. As soon as their car peeled away, she called my neighbor. He came in, picked me up and carried me to his house. Of course, I had never met this guy in my life, so I thought I was getting kidnapped. I kicked and screamed until my neighbor put my mom on the phone. Then I calmed down. She said that she would stay at a friend’s house that night because there was going to be a long night at work. When I woke up the next morning, the house was gone.” Bailey gasped. “Gone?” Jeremy nodded. “Gone. We moved the next day. Rummaged through the wreckage, salvaged what we could, and left in my mom’s rickety pickup truck. We got here two days later. Moved into an abandoned shack outside town.”
Bailey nodded, understanding now. Then, she asked, “Then why did your mom get so defensive when we came to welcome you to the town?”
Jeremy grimaced. “Yeah, I remember. Listen, can I trust you to keep a secret?”
Bailey crossed her heart with her hands. “I’ll take it to my grave.”
Jeremy’s eyes widened. “Seriously?”
Bailey laughed. “No, it just means I won’t tell.”
“Oh,” Jeremy sighed, “good. Well, you see, we didn’t really buy that shack. We just sort of moved in. My mom thought you were the police coming to kick us out. She was going to go apologize but she didn’t know of anybody, like the actual cops were watching the house. One time, I went out to play in the yard out back, and some white boys were back there, and they didn’t like me “intruding” on “their” space, so they beat me up. Badly. And that’s why I don’t trust strangers anymore,” he said with a wry smile. At this last revelation, Bailey stood. “Who beat you up? Did you catch any names? Would you recognize their faces at school? If you can, I’ll give them a whupping they won’t forget.” 
Startled and surprised by this show of determination, Jeremy laughed. “You don’t need to say that.” Then he looked up, realizing Bailey was dead serious. “You’d do that?” Bailey nodded, arms crossed. Then she sat down and rummaged through her backpack and pulled out a school yearbook and flipped to the last page, where all the kids’ school pictures were.  She showed it to Jeremy. He pointed to three boys that matched the faces of the boys that beat him up. Satisfied, Bailey put the yearbook away and said to show up five minutes early to school for a surprise. Bailey had a small television up there, so they sat down and turned it on and watched after-school cartoons for hours.

There they stayed until the sun slipped behind the hills and Mr. McFee came looking. He found them hiding in the tree house, but was so happy Bailey had made a friend that his anger went out the window. Both kids went back to their houses, chattering excitedly to their eager and relieved parents. When Jeremy arrived early for school, he saw nothing out of the ordinary as he walked through the hallway. As he arrived at his locker, he set his back down and shimmied the lock off. As he opened the door, he jumped back as three bruised, bloodied, groaning white boys tumbled out. As a crowd gathered, he snatched a note that was taped to the back of one boy and squeezed through the crowd and walked to his class. As he sat down, he read the note. It said, You thought I wouldn’t? Well, nobody messes with Bailey McFee or her best friend. Treehouse after school? He looked to the front of the room to where Bailey was grinning back at him. He nodded and she smiled even wider. At that moment, the three boys walked into the classroom. As Bailey walked towards the door to sharpen her pencil, all the boys saw her and scattered to their seats. Bailey looked back and smirked, satisfied that they had learned their lesson.

Their friendship endured middle school, stayed strong through high school, fought past segregation, and held strong against angry whites who didn't take kindly to the fact that the richest girl in town was hanging out with a black man. Bailey got into a fight with her father, so Bailey and Jeremy left Montgomery and went to live in Jackson, Mississippi. When Mr.McFee apologized, they moved back to Montgomery. Both the McFee parents and Jeremy's mother were living in retirement homes, so the McFee's left the house, as well as the family fortune solely in the possession of Bailey. As they saw the house again, Bailey's memories flooded back, as did Jeremy's. They were home. As they stepped out of the car, they opened  another door, and a little brown boy stepped out and grabbed his mother and father's hands. As the family stepped into the house, they started a new chapter in their lives: one that they would all share together.
And that's the story of Mom and Dad.

• November 13, 2020 - 9:23am (Now Viewing)