Sweetie

16
Class of '22
Writing because it's fun :)

I am grateful for any feedback! Thanks!

Slamming lockers
Footsteps in crowded hallways
Laughter
Laughter

The last time I walked through school hallways, the lights were dim and there were not enough people to fill the space. The school gave us the opportunity to collect our possessions; we did not know when we would return. I met only a few people on the way to my locker: a teacher, a classmate, and an office staff member.

My locker creaked as I opened it; I had never noticed that before. I peeled off my magnets and tossed them into a bag. A flake of rust floated to the ground, and I took a moment to watch it fall. Soon my locker was as empty as I felt. For the last time, I closed my locker and turned away. I stared down the dark and empty hall. There was no one in sight. Emotions beyond the scope of words swelled within me, and I found myself fighting off tears.

I don't know how long I stood there, but it was then that I realized my future was so uncertain. I took a deep breath, collected myself, and left. That was over a month ago, but the memory is still vivid in my mind.

Today, as I walked down my street, rain began to sprinkle on me. The sky was not grey; only a painting of fluffy white wisps floated overhead. For a moment, rain drizzled from a calm sky. I wonder if I have been so focused on the falling rain that I have forgotten to look at the sky overhead. Somewhere on the horizon a blue sky waits to be seen if we only look up, and beyond it lies a hopeful future.