sherry171

Has a new existential crisis every day and yeets it out through word vomit.

Community ambassador alum [summer 2020]

A bit of a weird piece, but a look at the how the disaster COVID-19 has at least been able to breathe life back into Earth :)

Hibernation

PROMPT: Creature View

22
He scuttled furiously from beneath the undergrowth, pausing every few seconds to catch his breath. He wasn’t sure if he had enough time left. The blanketing beings of crimson, violet, rose, and turquoise had just begun to rise from their deep slumber and flood the sky in ripples. He grimaced as he noticed the light -- it might have been too late.

His heartbeat quickened as the planted cluster around him began to grow thinner, knowing full well that he’d nearly reached the end of the protective forest. The rounded nut in his hands began to tremble and coat with sweat.

The first time he’d embarked on this mission, he’d nearly gotten killed.

His brave mama had tried to show him the ropes. He could hear her voice echoing in his ear: “Now, when you get up to the grey and rocky soil, be very, very careful. Keep your ears close to the ground, and listen for a great roaring or rush of wind.” 

Paws clasped together, watching for a break in in the stampede, they’d taken one step. Then another. And then an ear-piercing honk had left a bright shock of colour right before their eyes, metal blurring into an afterimage. A furious yelp brought in a lungful of reeking, putrid air; driving both of them into a coughing fit.

Throughout the whole unnaturally cold winter, they’d been cuddled in their new burrow, built on the little land they could find after their old home had been cleared. He hadn’t been able to breathe properly since he’d started making the trips. He kept thinking about the incident that day, knowing that after their hibernation was over and spring was just about to flock in, they’d have to revisit the same horrendous path to uncover the food they stored in the fall...

As he treaded out of the bushes, he saw it -- the wide stretch of grey just coming into light, looming out in front of him -- the deathly track he’d have to race through to a finish line of tree and shrubbery. This is it. I’ve got to hope I make it through in one piece.

One paw-step. A second paw-step. Silence.
A third paw-step. A fourth paw-step. Silence.
A fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth…
He’d done it! He was safely on the other side! Gasping with relief, he steadied the nut against his paws, ready to scamper back to the burrow. But then… 
He stopped to look back at the scene behind him.

Still silence. Not a single shiny beast shooting along the grey ground, growling from the depths of its belly. For minutes he stood there in plain shock, the path staying broad and empty as the sun continued to climb. Empty.
He inhaled, and could taste the sweet and dewy breeze rushing past, no longer muddled by the heavy reek he’d gotten used to. He could even faintly make out, drifting over the treetops; the cardinal’s first chirp of spring, no longer covered by the mighty roars.

Were they… gone?

He gazed up past the foliage in awe to a lake-like sky -- shadows of geese swimming in the shallow currents, a clearing of cotton-dotted sapphire his mom had only murmured stories about. In the forest before him, more of his kind had begun to emerge, hesitantly twitching their noses, sniffing at the air that had never felt so fresh.

Maybe, they’ve travelled to a new home. Maybe they’ve found a different place to run about.
Or maybe…
Maybe they’ve finally gone into hibernation. It’s their time to rest.

1

• FizzyBaguette

SHERRY I'M SO PROUD OF YOU THIS IS AMAZING
    *grabs you and lifts you like in the lion king* I KNEW SHERRY BEFORE SHE GOT THIS COOL, BECAUSE SHE WAS ALWAYS COOL

• ElsaRee

Amazing! Your creativity is incredible!

• joella

this is such a creative story concept! awesome work :)

• Charisse Marison

Wow. That was awesome <3

I was not expecting that. It's wonderful.

• WhispersOfGray

I love this, brilliant.