Pravartika Wankhede

16-a lot on my mind

I don't talk about my life. in plain terms, a lot but this time it was worth it. Show some love, please! Every single comment, to a writer, as you must know, is a gold medal. It makes my day, my weeks, my months and my years happy. Thankyou! Much Love. -P

Happiness: All Secrets Out

My azoba, my paternal grandfather died last year on his birthday. I did not cry-I barely knew him. We didn't live together and my teen notions of 'knowing a person' cover everything from knowing one's favorite color to their deepest secret. He owned a couple of acres of farm land that he'd gotten as dowry upon his marriage to my grandmother. It is a pretty place-surrounded by never ending acres of land on four sides and a half a globe of white-streaked-blue above as far as the eye can see. The last time I saw that un-extraordinary patch of land was at his burial; a farmer's last resting place is the land he consumes from. 
                              From what I've heard, he wasn't a sane man. He left my grandmother for ten whole years to live as an ascetic and then came back one day, literally, out of the blue. He was a part of some pantheist, mystic religious cult for years and that is where is he learnt the song that he always sang to me. Curiously, he sang to no other grandchild but me and he called me by my full, formal name.The song was in Marathi and I can hear him as I write, singing-
                             Aanandi Ananda Gade,
                                            Jikte, Tikde, Chovi Kade.

Nabhaat Bharla, Dishat Firla, Jagaat Urla.

Aanandi Ananda Gade,
                                            Jikte, Tikde, Chovi Kade.  

which roughly translates to-

Joy, Joy! Here, Over There and Everywhere.
                                           Encompassing all directions and all space-the only thing left in the world.

I believe he left me this legacy because he saw something he didn't see in others. Nobody knows of this song except baba, my father. My dad has three siblings and I have eight cousins, but he chose to give me this gift. Perhaps he knew I would understand, someday. And-daring to stretch it that far- maybe he knew that I would live in a capitalist world, where as one of my closest friends put it , 'one's worth is determined by how easily replaceable one is'. I like capitalism and I value it deeply, but, as put by the same friend, 'the higher up in the ladder you are, the more prone you are to unhappiness.'Where neither the gilded thrones, not throned monarch have joy, and we look to the heavens for it, in vain, we have it everywhere and anywhere we truly choose to seek it, and my grandfather's wagon of mystics found it. Look around, there's joy, joy-everywhere.                       

• sherry171

This is an absolutely wonderful piece! I love how you're able to incorporate your culture with this important and symbolic message.

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

I agree with @anoushka1705, this so beautiful! I love the style of your writing -- your imagery and symbolism is so vivid! :)

This is so beautiful. I love your writing!

• The Midnight One

Wow, that's amazing... And such a beautiful meaning behind the song he gifted to you.

• Samina

Wow, this piece is very nice. I loved how you used azoba for grandfather.
    Well done!