GROUP:

In This Together

Login Open Group - Anyone Can Join

Timeless Counsel

Full Details

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? Wisdom you return to again and again, even as the world spins on, changing unimaginably?

In the early 1900s, a young military cadet in Austria wrote a letter to the Bohemian-Austrian poet Rainer Maria Rilke, asking for advice on writing poetry. Rilke responded with this: "Nobody can advise you and help you, nobody. There is only one way. Go into yourself.” Though Rilke had no easy answers for becoming a poet, what unfolded was an exchange of letters that lasted years, in which Rilke offered guidance on all matters of life to the young poet, such as how to live with questions:

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart, and try to love the questions themselves... the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.

What about you, dear writers? What counsel has influenced your view on the world, and how to live in it? What wisdom do you find yourself drawing on now, amidst this time of uncertainty? Share a cherished piece of advice or wisdom, and then tell us where it came from (a book, a relative, a song?), and why it means so much to you.