Yosemite 6

Christy Wisdom

Hello people! What to say? I'm a Christian girl. I like to write. I write tons of poetry, some short stories, and other things.
I like
NARUTO
Imagine Dragons
LOTR
Harry Potter
Agents of SHIELD
Artemis Fowl
My Hero Academia
God bless you!

I feel like I strayed a bit off prompt here, but I really wanted to write this story with a focus on how the restaurant brought the family out of their busy lives for a minute so that they could enjoy each other's company.

Dim Sum and Memories

GROUP: Flash Fiction

My family sat around a table in a Chinese restaurant. I'm not just talking about my intermediate family, like my brothers and sisters and mom and dad. No, I'm talking about Mom's parents and siblings too. The aunts and uncles who were far away and the ones we saw often were all there. My grandma just had this glowing smile on her face; it was her birthday, and every year for this special occasion we gathered here to eat dim sum and give her gifts. While some of the adults ordered lunch, I held my newest cousin, a baby named Becca. Many of my other cousins were there too, some of the older ones chatting about Zelda, Angry Birds, and Clash Royale, and some of the younger ones sitting with their parents and talking in toddler voices. Finally, the food came.
    "Lord, please bless this food and my wife, and thank you that we could all be here for this occasion. Amen." My grandpa prayed. Then we started passing around the plates of vegetables, dumplings, spring rolls, and the like. I savored the special Asian aroma wafting off of the dishes; sesame and soy sauce. I laughed as I tried to pick up some steamed char siu bao with chopsticks, but missed. 
    "Here, Sophie, do it like this." My mom said. She demonstrated the technique, and I copied it. The char siu bao tasted delicious; the sweet flavor of the pork and the chewy texture of the dough together seemed to make the perfect combination. While not everyone in my family liked this particular dish, many of them did. We passed around the plate, and the steamed pork buns soon disappeared. Laughing and enjoying the time with the family, my grandpa ordered another round of the dim sum. That meant that we just had to stay for another half hour and that we just had to talk for longer and have more time to catch up. When we all finally left the restaurant, we were left with a warm sense of happiness that our family (and the food too, of course) had brought.

• Christy Wisdom

Nostalgia!! Chinese food is so good, especially when with family.

I remember so many family meals at a Chinese restaurant... *sigh*