April storms profile picture

AprilStorms

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
- Dr. Seuss

Not Lost But Not Found

GROUP: Flash Fiction

I walk up the steps Mino right beside me. Once we're out of the down pour he shakes himself, spraying water all over me. After giving my dog a dirty look I turn back to the door in front of me. An ordinary green door with a brass knocker: doesn't look like the home of a serial killer. I ring the doorbell hesitantly and prepare to run back into the wetness if something scary happens to be behind the large front door. But there is no need for my preparation.
    The guy who opens the door looks friendly enough as he looks me over and gives me a sympathetic smile at the state of my drenched clothes.
    "Hey, sorry to bother you but my car broke down and my phone isn't getting any service. When it started to rain I came to the closest house." I try to look desperate without looking like a drowned cat.
    He opens the door a little wider and I start to walk forward, a thank you on my toungue, but he stops me with his extended hand. I stare at it for a moment before offering my own. We shake hands and he finally lets me into the dry warmth of his house. Without any warning, Mino dashes off. I lunge for him but he is already gone and after following him I find my dog curled up on a rug before a cozy fire.
    I turned to the man, "I'm sorry for the rug. I can pay for any damages."
    He just shrugs it off and sitts down on the couch.
    "Would you mind if I used your phone?"
    He shakes his head and gestures over to an ancient rotary phone on the kitchen counter.
    "Thanks." I walk over to the phone to call someone, anyone who can get me out of this strange situation.