Newlyralynnelogo

LyraLynne

Was born in a small US town and has always loved reading and writing. Was inspired by JK Rowling to start writing. Was diagnosed with cancer in 2012 and went through chemotherapy in 2015. All is good now. Loves fall and winter and their holidays.

Please, if any of you know French, let me know if my French is wrong. I'm in French II right now and am working to get better at it. Thanks!

Ma Vie Était Bonne

PROMPT: Not Me

4

GROUP: Flash Fiction

Holding the baby in her arms, Zoé smiled. She didn't know whose baby it was, but there were all these people standing about her, saying, "Mamie, Mamie. C'est votre arrière-petite fille." For the life of her, she couldn't remember who they were. This child, swaddled up in soft blankets was cushioned in her arms. Her round, pink cheeks captured the sweet innocence of childhood. Her eyes were closed, but you could tell that they were quite large, with long dark eyelashes.  Tel un enfant adorable. She thought. The peacefulness of that moment was so complete that she knew it was time. Looking around, she finally saw one person whom she recognized. Smiling softly, she beckoned for her to come near. When the woman walked up to her and grasped her hand, Zoé saw the tears in her eyes. She whispered in her granddaughter's ear, "Petite-fille, ne t'inquiète pas. Ma vie  ètait bonne." And the last thing she saw and felt was her granddaughter reaching down to kiss her forehead for the very last time.
This story takes place in France, so they're speaking (and thinking) in French. Ma Vie Était Bonne means my life was good. Mamie is an informal way to say grandmother. C'est votre arrière-petite fille translates to it's your great-granddaughter. Tel un enfant adorable means such a sweet child. Petite-fille, ne t'inquiète pas means Granddaughter, don't worry.

1

• LyraLynne

Thanks you guys!

The story is fantastically moving and as far as I know, the French is superb! Awesome job on both :DD <3

• Ruthh

This was so good. To be fair, I only clicked on it because it appeared on my dashboard and I was excited that I understood the French title but I'm SO GLAD I clicked it because it moved me so much!! At the end I swear I had a tear in my eye it dawned on me what it was about and I was like AAAAAAAAA