ollieollie

Um......hi

Over the past year, I defeated a fear of other people, learned the value of clarity and brevity, fought writer's block, and developed pride in my words.

Now I am a writer with a love for onomatopoeias and an affinity for semicolons.

I based this one off of a song we used to sing at summer camp. A little thing about a boy taking a girl out to a lake to kiss her and getting royally shut down. Fun stuff.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Awkward

PROMPT: Two in a Canoe

1

GROUP: Flash Fiction

I hope she doesn't say anything. I make a silent plea to the heavens, to let the rest of this ride go by in award silence. Cause even awkward silence is better than forced conversation.
​    "I don't see why you won't talk to me. You're the one who asked me to come out here with you."
​    Dangit. Okay, James, happy thoughts. Nothing offensive. Nothing to make this worse. ​I dig my paddle into the water, forcing my anger into the water instead of my words. "I talked to you plenty about five minutes ago. Look where that got us." Gee whiz, what on earth is coming out of my mouth? ​I clenched my jaw, forbidding any other unwelcome statements to pass my lips.
    Her eyes burned into the back of my skull. "YOU were the one that made it awkward. I was being a good friend. You invited me to something, I said yes. I didn't know you would try to..." She paused. "You know."
    I turned to face her, not caring about what poison left my mouth anymore. "What, empty my heart out to you? Come on, Liz, I was dropping hints all day, you were just too absorbed in yourself to notice them. Now I'm starting to realize what a huge mistake I made."
    She was silent for a moment. When she spoke, her voice was quiet, and wavered a bit. Not a lot, but enough to let me know that I had hurt her. "I'm the self absorbed one? I was fine with just being friends."
    I turned back around. "Yeah, well you kind of screwed that up, too."
    The only sound was the lonely swish of the paddle.

• July 31, 2017 - 10:19pm (Now Viewing)