Peppermint Lemonade

"I still fall on my face sometimes and I
Can't color inside the lines 'cause
I'm perfectly incomplete
I'm still working on my masterpiece and I
I wanna hang with the greatest gotta
Way to go, but it's worth the wait"

Like if you like! :)

Soap in the Water-Fountain

GROUP: Flash Fiction

I handed Jack the pepper shaker at his request, since I was sitting closest to him. Our fingers touched briefly, I looked away quickly. I didn't want to see him, much less be forced to eat supper with him. I thought we were best-friends, sometimes even more than just friends. Apparently I was wrong. It was our ritual, we always spent Saturday together, but I guess hanging out with the guys was more important than hanging out with a girl. He could've at least let me know, instead of making me wait at the roller skating rink for two hours. No phone call, no text, no e-mail, no explanation. Anyway, our families ate supper together every Sunday, so I just had to deal with being around him. Lost in thought, I must have missed part of a conversation, since I suddenly jerked my head up at the sound of my name being called.
"Yeah?" 
"So? Do you want to?" he asked.
"Want to what?" I replied with a slightly irritated tone.
"Go fishing on Saturday." my mom answered looking at me peculiarly. I would usually jump at an offer like that.
"Uhh, sure?" I said, not exactly understanding what I was agreeing to.

Oh, but I would. Fishing with him. Alone. Saturday.

Life's advice: never agree to something unless you know what the terms are.

The doorbell rang. I opened the door.
"Hi." he said, looking at his feet.
I didn't reply, instead I grabbed my fishing poll and walked out the door, slamming it behind me with a satisfying thump. I moved past him and started walking towards the pond. I could hear him following me. It would take us half an hour to walk there, hopefully he wouldn't try talking. After that we would be busy fishing, so I wouldn't have to pay him any attention.

We walked almost the whole way there saying nothing, but, of course, he had to ruin it.
"Jane?"
I ignored him.
"I know you're mad and I don't blame you. I would be too."
That was it.
"Oh, really, Jack? You would be mad too? You know, a simple text message would've been enough: 'I can't make it. Sorry.' Sure, I would have been upset, but compared to waiting two hours for you?" I continued walking. 
"Just let me explain. Please?"
I stopped, "Fine, but hurry up."
"The guys called me up and told me they had something important planned, but they said not to tell anyone, including you, because it was super secret, or something. I thought it was going to be something interesting, something I could tell you about, but it ended up just being a stupid prank. The usual soap in the water-fountain downtown. It was a bad choice and I just wanted to say I'm sorry. Okay?  I know you still hate me." He started to walk away.
"Wait."
He stopped.
"Friends?" I held my hand out. I guess he deserved a second chance. 
We shook on it.

1