Tree cropped

Hanan Adi

Germany

Impressionist.

A word is worth a thousand pictures.

Originally published this as an entry to the WtW Flash Fiction Competition in 2016. I revised it since then but just never republished it. When this prompt popped up, however, this revised version fit perfectly. I would love to hear your thoughts.

There are also plenty of other things I have published earlier on this site and that I would love to have feedback on. If you have a moment, there are links to just a handful of them in the footnotes. Thank you for your time! You all are the best.

The End

GROUP: Flash Fiction

I met him at the end of the war and the world. 
    Amid dust and smog and fluttering debris. Amid the reek of dry blood and ash and death. Amid silence.
    We must have been the last two survivors on Earth. 
    “What have we done?” he murmured, gazing wide-eyed across the moonscape. 
    I scuffed a piece of shrapnel. “We got angry, I guess.” 
    “Everything’s gone…” 
    “Yeah.” 
    “What do we do now?” 
    “Don’t know… Start over, I guess.” 
    We looked at each other. 
    “What’s your name?” he asked. 
    “Dawn,” I said. 
    “May I call you Eve?”

THE BEGINNING

Original version: "The End." August 2016
"Humanity." March 2018
"Le Pain de Molière." September 2018
"Another Sun." December 2018
"The World Shall Not Forget." January 2019
"The Fault in Our Schools." March 2019

• Dmoral13

Thanks so much! You really made my day :)
    Especially considering you bookmarked my profile and everything!! Plus you mentioned you'd leave WTW soon....i'll miss you. thanks for everything

• Dmoral13

Did you remember the date for so long? Thanks

• Dmoral13

Thank you for the birthday comment! You're like the only one outside my family who remembered. And either one would be really nice of you, thanks so much!

• winterwolf0100

This is beautiful. It made me wonder if this was a dystopian future-- or past. I love it so much! I was so intrigued! This would be a great ending to a book, if both characters never met until this point but were both developed over a period of time (if the author wrote from two separate points of view and combined it for the end.) I would honestly read a book if you wrote the beginning to this, just based on the end. Terrific work, and I would love to see you add more to it!

• JCWriter

This––this is amazing. You've done so much with so little, and everything works together so well. The last line is perfect and stunning.