Serendipity

melbourne, aus
just trying to escape through writing
yooo the IB is a mad lad

Yes yes yes, I know it isn't 500 words, but I haven't published a piece in a while so, oh well. Also, I'm not too proud with this piece as I know this isn't my best work. Just excuse the sloppy writing <3

Also, I feel like I can write a piece about having an anaphylactic attack because I myself am anaphylactic to many foods. So obviously that warrants me the ability to be able to write about this lol :P

Food for Thought

PROMPT: Plot Twist

10

GROUP: Flash Fiction

Raindrops fall onto the restaurant's roof, providing a light percussion harmony in contrast to the deep, booming rhythm of my anxious heart. In front of me sits a stout old man wearing an overly tight black suit, his shirt buttons quite literally hanging by a worn thread. Usually, I tend to shy away from social outings such as this, however, this particular night holds the difference between a wealthy future for me and my future being cut short. The chubby man in front of me is yet to have spoken a word all night, adding to the tension already. In fact, he ordered the food before my late arrival so I haven't a clue what tonight's menu will be. I try to communicate with him, yet like expected, the man does not respond. I close my eyes and silently wish for the food to instantly materialise in front of us so my deal will finally be done.

At last, after what seemed like an eternity, a young waiter appears and fumbles around with two bowls before setting two bright yellow soups on the table. "Enjoy your meal," he mumbles in a scratchy voice before scurrying off to the kitchen. The soup smells putrid, and I feel as if I am turning a dark shade of green. Ignoring me, the man attacks his meal, slurping away in a digusting manner. I uncomfortably watch the man barbarically consume his meal before deciding that I've lost my appetite. After seeing that I have no intention to eat the soup, the man snaps at me in a thick accent. "Why haven't you touched your soup? I've brought you out here after all, at least try it!" 
"Actually, you didn't even tell me what this meal is, sir," I quickly reply in a small voice, so as to not upset the man further. 
"It's a French delicacy, miss, called 'soupe aux moules et au safran'," he snorts back, motioning me to start eating. 
I shakily pick up the spoon and try not to gag as I scoop up the viscous liquid shimmering with dots of oil on its surface. "Bon appetite," I choke out before hesitantly shoving the horrible concoction into my mouth. As it seeps into my taste buds, my body tries extremely hard to reject the alien goop, but I force it down my throat to try and be respectful to the man, who has already finished his soup and is watching me eat mine. He stares right at me as if he is anticipating that something is about to happen. I turn back to my soup when I start to think of its name. Soupe aux moules et au safranHmm, a very interesting French dish. But suddenly, one thought overpowers all the other.
Moules. Moules, I think, is French for...
"Mussels," I say out loud in shock. A typical person would not find mussels so shocking, however, I certainly do. 

As it turns out, I am highly allergic to seafood. 

And the man knows this all too well.

Suddenly, the shock wears off and I am left gasping for air. I try to tell the man in between breaths to help me urgently, but he doesn't move from his chair. Instead, his gaze is locked onto my body frantically trying to suck air into my lungs. 
"We needed to get rid of you somehow, child. Food, out of all things, was your weakest point." He laughs as he picks up a mussel and sucks on the shell maliciously. 
I mouth a final please to the fat man for help, but I know that it is useless. He simply stares at me before exiting the restaurant. I can hear his laughs echo out to the weeping sky before growing fainter and fainter till nothing but silence remains.

Pure hate fills my mind as the world spins around me and finally goes dead black. 

2

• Serendipity

Aw, thank you Bubbling. I tried to make it mysterious and leave a bunch of questions unanswered, but still tried to have an obvious plot twist. Glad to hear you like it! :D

• The Bubbling Pen

oooooohhhhh I have so many questions and I love this piece so much!!!! <3

• Serendipity

Aww thank you RachelMarie! That made my day <3

• RachelMarie

This is literally the best thing I've read all day. You MUST continue this! I'm dying to know what was behind all this. :)
    Great job!