Write the world   poets and wordsmiths group
GROUP:

Poets and Wordsmiths

Login Open Group - Anyone Can Join

This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Write the world   %22my heart is like%22 prompt

"My Heart is Like"

Full Details

In her brief poem, “Ebb,” Edna St. Vincent Millay composes a five-line simile to communicate the depth of the narrator’s feelings of loss. (A simile is a comparison using “like” or “as”.) In the poem below, notice how the last five lines follow the word like:  

“I know what my heart is like
      Since your love died:
It is like a hollow ledge
Holding a little pool
      Left there by the tide,
      A little tepid pool,
Drying inward from the edge.”

The richness and specificity of Millay’s figurative language makes this compact verse powerful. Through her words and line-breaks, Millay gives us a vivid picture of her heartbreak, as well as time to pause and contemplate this imagery, altogether allowing the significance of the speaker’s feelings to sink in.

For this prompt, write a 7-line poem that also features a 5-line simile, as Huda Ayaz and clos do in these rich verses. Begin with Millay’s line: “I know what my heart is like…” You do not have to write about loss, as Millay does; instead, you can choose your own emotion or experience to bring to life with this structure—you might choose joy or wonder, embarrassment or excitement.

Make sure to add a line of attribution at the end, acknowledging Millay’s inspiration and the line you have borrowed.