Write the world   poets and wordsmiths group
GROUP:

Poets and Wordsmiths

Login Open Group - Anyone Can Join

This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Write the world   sentence as masterpiece prompt

Sentence as Masterpiece

Full Details

Author Jenny Davidson writes in her article, “What Makes a Sentence a Masterpiece?”:

“A great sentence makes you want to chew it over slowly in your mouth the first time you read it. A great sentence compels you to rehearse it again in your mind’s ear, and then again later on.”
For this prompt, dear writers, we invite you to share with us one of your FAVORITE sentences. What sentence do you chew over slowly, or rehearse again and again in your mind? Who wrote it? Where does it come from?

Copy and paste this favorite sentence in your response (please remember to cite the title and author of your source, and link to it if possible). Then, in ONE additional sentence, tell us why you love it.

Here are some of our all-time favorites:
  •  "Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed." (James Joyce, Ulysses)
  • "The pieces I am, she gather them and gave them back to me in all the right order." (Toni Morrison, Beloved)
  • "The silhouette of a moving cat wavered across the moonlight, and turning my head to watch it, I saw that I was not alone—fifty feet away a figure had emerged from the shadow of my neighbor's mansion and was standing with his hands in his pockets regarding the silver pepper of the stars." (F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby)
  • "Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering." (Nicole Krauss, The History of Love)