Uma Bhat

High School sophomore with a passion for journalism, content creation, politics, and all things Sherlock.

Stalk me at www.landublog.wordpress.com (group) or https://unbelievablyuma.blogspot.com/ (personal) ;).
I am also an amateur journalist looking for any opportunity to ~write~.
Insta: @_umabhat

The Price Of Preserving Patriarchy In India

2

The price of a husband in rural India is high: a mother’s family heirlooms, a father’s money - but worst of all, a young girl’s youth, innocence, and future. In a world where freedom is a luxury, underaged brides watch their aspirations die as they are sold into patriarchal family structures that display the very roots of male dominance. The underage marriage of Indian women must be eradicated in order to protect the interests of women worldwide.

According to UNICEF's Child Marriage Statistics, an estimated 47% percent of girls in India continue to be involuntarily  married before the age of eighteen - leaving them little time to grow and develop their social footing. Misogyny is inevitable for several of these girls - many of their fathers marry them off in an attempt to increase food rations and investments in men, who are regarded as more valuable in rural Indian societies. Unfortunately, girls are simply seen as a “liability and a burden,” according to Dinesh Shur, a village pastor, in a CBN article detailing Child Marriage in India.

As such, futures remain desolate for child brides in rural India. Their educational careers are left on an indefinite hold as they bear children, often by the time they reach puberty. Instead, they spend their time doing dreary chores for their husband’s families. "After marriage, what is my work now? Washing dishes, cleaning the floor, washing clothes and cooking," states Seema, in an article written by Nel Hedayat (BBC News) that details the life of a child bride. With no education, no work experience, and no one to turn to, child brides are left dependent on any support offered by their in-laws.

What families don’t realize is that by allowing girls to obtain an education rather than being forced into domestic labor could lead to the socioeconomic advancement of India as this enables potential members of the workforce. Additionally,  jobs will provide women with financial security and a voice in a male-dominated society. New York Times article “Why Aren't India's Women Working?” states: “Working, and the control of assets it allows, lowers rates of domestic violence and increases women’s decision-making in the household. And an economy where all the most able citizens can enter the labor force is more efficient and grows faster.”

After being upheld for thousands of years, child marriage may seem hard to stop; but, it is all of our duties to help these girls through supporting and donating to educational, self defense, and women's rights groups in India. We must strive to make it possible that no young woman will ever have to see a day when a price tag is set upon her self worth and freedom again.
This is a runner-up (top 36) in the New York Times Editorial Competition (9275 entries). I thought it would fit into this group's work. 

• Uma Bhat

@RedWriter Yeah, but it's up to us to fix all the bad stuff, which is the fun part :)

• RedWriter

It seems for every good thing in the world, there is something to counter it. I hate that this happens. This is awful