Group Details

Welcome to Words for Joy. This group focuses on buoying the spirit. We will explore how writing can help us cultivate well-being—within ourselves, our families, and our communities. Through letter writing, appreciative inquiries, journaling, and mindfulness exercises, this group nurtures the light within each of us, developing the skills necessary to tackle life with gusto. At a time when levels of stress, anxiety, competition, and peer pressure are at their highest, this is a place to discover joy, community, and compassion.

You’ll love this group if… you’re looking for ways that writing can foster a sense of connection and well-being in your life.

Announcements

• Dear Words for Joy group members,

In case you missed our last announcement, we are writing you once again to share some exciting news regarding the future of our group writing communities at Write the World! In order to make sure you get the most out of Write the World sub-groups, we will be retiring existing groups and launching new groups-- called Writers' Rooms-- on a rotating schedule, each lasting six weeks. 

Writers' Rooms will consist of weekly writing prompts that carry you through the progression of the writing process, from imagining potential topics to honing your final piece with an eye towards publication. Prompts will build upon one another, though you can also join at any time and respond to those that call to you. We will focus on commenting, peer reviewing, and building community as we take an in-depth look at a variety of genres and elements of craft, read accompanying resources, and dig more deeply into the writing process. Our first group, Writing for the News, will launch on March 1. We encourage you to join the group now and respond to the first prompt, “Meet & Greet,” so you’re ready to go when March arrives!

We will no longer be posting new writing prompts to Words for Joy. You WILL still be able to view your past writing once this group is retired; however, you WILL NOT have access to peer reviews, expert reviews, or prompts. Please download/copy any materials you wish to save by February 25th. We will retire current sub-groups on February 28th. This is the last announcement that you'll receive in this group, but we look forward to continuing our work with you through Writers' Rooms!

Please feel free to reach out to brittany@writetheworld.com if you have any questions or concerns about this transition. We look forward to engaging with you all in our new group communities, which will allow us to work together to hone our craft, connect with other writers, learn about language, and… most of all… have fun!

Sincerely,
    Your Editors
    about 15 hours ago
  • Dear Words for Joy group members,

We are writing to share some exciting news regarding the future of our group writing communities at Write the World! As you know, in order to make sure you get the most out of Write the World sub-groups, we stopped publishing writing prompts to this group in anticipation of the launch of our new writing group model. Starting in March, we will be retiring all existing Write the World sub-groups and launching new groups on a rotating schedule, each lasting six weeks. 

New groups will consist of weekly writing prompts that carry you through the progression of the writing process, from imagining potential topics to honing your final piece with an eye towards publication. Prompts will build upon one another, though you can also join at any time and respond to those that call to you. We will focus on commenting, peer reviewing, and building community as we take an in-depth look at a variety of genres and elements of craft, read accompanying resources, and dig more deeply into the writing process. Our first group, Writing for the News, will launch on March 1. We encourage you to join the group now and respond to the first prompt, “Meet & Greet,” so you’re ready to go when March arrives!

You WILL still be able to view your past writing once this group is retired; however, you WILL NOT have access to peer reviews, expert reviews, or prompts. Please download/copy any materials you wish to save by February 25th. We will retire current sub-groups on February 28th. 

Sincerely,
    Your Editors
  • Dear Words for Joy group members,

We are writing to share some exciting news regarding the future of our group writing communities at Write the World! In the coming weeks, we will be launching our first in a series of Writing Workshops dedicated to specific styles of writing and elements of craft. These workshops will last one week each and will comprise writing prompts, resources, readings, and even appearances from guest writers whose works demonstrate expertise in each genre, allowing participants to earn a certificate of completion for their writing and peer reviews!

As we work to launch these workshops, we will no longer be posting new writing prompts to this Words for Joy group. However, you WILL still have access to all past writing prompts in this group, as well as your published and unpublished works.
    Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns about this transition. We look forward to engaging with you all in Writing Workshop communities, which will allow us to work together to hone our craft, connect with other writers, learn about language, and… most of all… have fun!

Sincerely,
    Your Editors
  • New Prompt: In 140 characters or less, share what self-respect means to you.
  • New Prompt: Where do you derive meaning?
  • New Prompt: Write a letter to a beloved child.
  • New Prompt: What is your motto?
  • New Prompt: Create a new word for a specific kind of joy.
  • New Prompt: Share a family love story in 13 lines (or less).
  • New Prompt: Conduct a kindness experiment!
  • New Prompt: Tell us a story that was told to you by an elder.
  • New Prompt: What would you do during your perfect weekend?
  • New Prompt: Write about the characters whom you pass by in the streets.
  • New Prompt: Write a diary entry about your good news.
  • New Prompt: Write a poem about the very moment you're in.
  • New prompt: Write a letter to a loved one.
  • New Prompt: What does the word perseverance mean to you?
  • New Prompt: When you gaze up at the stars, what do you wish for?
  • New Prompt: Define friendship in the length of a tweet.
  • Hello, writers!

Do you have an idea for a new writing prompt? Something that would inspire others to put pen to paper? If so, we want to hear from you!

One of our favorite jobs here at Write the World is dreaming up weekly writing prompts to share with you, our authors—prompts that stretch your craft to new areas of brilliance, giving rise to a voice or perspective that you might not have realized you had.

This week, it's YOUR turn! We have decided to "flip the script" by giving you the opportunity to write your own prompt with an eye towards sparking a response from your peers. We’ll select some of our favorites, and run them in the Words for Joy Group in the coming months.

Please be sure to include a title for your prompt, and the intended genre of writing. Send your drafted submissions to hello@writetheworld.com for a chance at having your prompt published on our website! And in the subject line, write "Words for Joy prompt submission". 

Thanks, all, and happy writing!

Sincerely,
    Your Editors