Group Details

Welcome to Words for Joy. This group focuses on buoying the spirit. We will explore how writing can help us cultivate well-being—within ourselves, our families, and our communities. Through letter writing, appreciative inquiries, journaling, and mindfulness exercises, this group nurtures the light within each of us, developing the skills necessary to tackle life with gusto. At a time when levels of stress, anxiety, competition, and peer pressure are at their highest, this is a place to discover joy, community, and compassion.

You’ll love this group if… you’re looking for ways that writing can foster a sense of connection and well-being in your life.

Announcements

• Dear Words for Joy group members,

We are writing to share some exciting news regarding the future of our group writing communities at Write the World! In the coming weeks, we will be launching our first in a series of Writing Workshops dedicated to specific styles of writing and elements of craft. These workshops will last one week each and will comprise writing prompts, resources, readings, and even appearances from guest writers whose works demonstrate expertise in each genre, allowing participants to earn a certificate of completion for their writing and peer reviews!

As we work to launch these workshops, we will no longer be posting new writing prompts to this Words for Joy group. However, you WILL still have access to all past writing prompts in this group, as well as your published and unpublished works.
    Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns about this transition. We look forward to engaging with you all in Writing Workshop communities, which will allow us to work together to hone our craft, connect with other writers, learn about language, and… most of all… have fun!

Sincerely,
    Your Editors
  • New Prompt: In 140 characters or less, share what self-respect means to you.
  • New Prompt: Where do you derive meaning?
  • New Prompt: Write a letter to a beloved child.
  • New Prompt: What is your motto?
  • New Prompt: Create a new word for a specific kind of joy.
  • New Prompt: Share a family love story in 13 lines (or less).
  • New Prompt: Conduct a kindness experiment!
  • New Prompt: Tell us a story that was told to you by an elder.
  • New Prompt: What would you do during your perfect weekend?
  • New Prompt: Write about the characters whom you pass by in the streets.
  • New Prompt: Write a diary entry about your good news.
  • New Prompt: Write a poem about the very moment you're in.
  • New prompt: Write a letter to a loved one.
  • New Prompt: What does the word perseverance mean to you?
  • New Prompt: When you gaze up at the stars, what do you wish for?
  • New Prompt: Define friendship in the length of a tweet.
  • Hello, writers!

Do you have an idea for a new writing prompt? Something that would inspire others to put pen to paper? If so, we want to hear from you!

One of our favorite jobs here at Write the World is dreaming up weekly writing prompts to share with you, our authors—prompts that stretch your craft to new areas of brilliance, giving rise to a voice or perspective that you might not have realized you had.

This week, it's YOUR turn! We have decided to "flip the script" by giving you the opportunity to write your own prompt with an eye towards sparking a response from your peers. We’ll select some of our favorites, and run them in the Words for Joy Group in the coming months.

Please be sure to include a title for your prompt, and the intended genre of writing. Send your drafted submissions to hello@writetheworld.com for a chance at having your prompt published on our website! And in the subject line, write "Words for Joy prompt submission". 

Thanks, all, and happy writing!

Sincerely,
    Your Editors