010115 nwokejip portraitsimple 34

Christina N.

That Day, a Part Of Us Died

That Day, a Part Of Us Died

I remember back in the day, Betty and I were in the 8th grade. We did everything together and we would tell each other all of our secrets no matter what they were. We never had any conflict with each other…not until they came.

February 2, 2015, I can still remember that day vividly; that day, a part of us died. We wanted to go to the movies to watch Inside Out. We had been planning to watch that movie for the longest time. When we would go to the movies we would get the same thing since we had so much in common. We would get nachos, watermelon sourpatches, and two large Mountain Dews. We enjoyed the movie, the only problem was after the movie. As we were walking home a group of men were walking in our direction, I had a feeling that they were up to no good. They asked our names, so we ignored them. But I guess that was the wrong thing to do at that time. They grabbed Betty by the neck and they…they did a few things that’s hard to say.  I remember her face, it was filled with terror. Her eyes were filled with tears and she was screaming for help; mercy; and me. I just keep having those flashbacks, never again have I felt happiness when I thought about Betty. Right in front of me, I didn’t know what to do so I ran, I ran for my life. It was too dark to see anything. I shouldn’t have left her behind, why did I do that, she’s my best friend. I called 911 before I could reach my house. They told me that she was left on the street with her clothes ripped up and she was beat up. She was in the hospital for about four days. She didn’t want to see me, I left her in the dark with those animals, those pigs. I didn’t mean to, she knows I love her dearly. It was a reflex, it wasn’t intentional. I couldn’t fight all those men; they overpowered her so I knew that they could overpower me as well. But she got her justice the police found the men and locked them up in the slammer where they belong.

I saw her in the hallway the other day. I had a whole presentation to show her that I‘m sorry. It was almost like I asking to prom; except I was asking her to be my friend again. I didn’t want to lose her. So I had some of my classmates hold up a big poster saying “I’m not perfect, I make mistakes, I’m sorry so please take me back ~Your BFF, Sally. Then in the speakers “Why Can’t We Be Friends” was playing in the speakers. I was behind her, then tapped on her shoulder, she turned around and gave me the biggest hug that she has ever given me.