buddingauthor

I love reading books and writing. I am 15 years old and obsessed with Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes (both books and series), Twilight and Divergent. Also, music is life!

Hey all! This is my first article on WTW and I have shared my thoughts on winters. Please let me know how you like it and also suggest some changes if you want. Thankyou!

The Wonders of Winter

2
Many people usually sulk and imagine a dull, dark environment whenever one talks about winters. It is a common misconception, or I should say perception of the people, that winters are soulless or emotionless. Well, personally I think winter is one of the most beautiful seasons of all.

Winter has the most beautiful sunsets of all, regardless of wherever we are. The vibrant colours of the sun perfectly balance the almost cloudless sky and gives us an amazing view to look at. One can never forget the serenity that the winter brings with it- the stillness in the air soothes me and helps me focus. Even the haze and fog gives me a sense of adventure, especially while travelling when we cannot see the roads clearly. I think of winters as the no-mess season. Summers are messy with the hot and humid climate, and the evening rush. Specially in a country like India where the temperatures are soaring high, the humidity agitates me. In winters, the day ends and the night falls early, and so does the peace. The evenings are so much more quieter and help me centre myself. I think of them as a therapeutic season where I can calm my nerves and let go of any stress and tension going on.

Another advantage about the winters are the delicacies. Soups, hot cocoa, popcorn, coffee, tea, barbecues, fritters, or as us Indians like to call them pakodas, are everyone's favourites. These things can only be  enjoyed fully in the winter season when their warmth can be put to some use by our body. Winter is a both indoor and outdoor season. When we are inside, we like to snuggle and get cozy in our blankets and maybe read a book or watch a movie, but when we finally manage to drag ourselves out of that blanket and go out for a walk, we start becoming friends with cold without knowing it. The wind brushes against our faces and makes our cheeks rosy pink, our nose turns bright red like that of Rudolph and our hairdo is completely changed after a walk with the wind. I like to call this a winter makeover because this is the closest I ever get to makeup.

Anyway, winter is also time for celebration and marks both, the ending and beginning of a year (here in India). Christmas, New Year, Lohri, Hanukkah, Thanksgiving, Makar Sankranti, Pongal are some of the festivals I know people from  different parts of the world celebrate, and it is a lot of fun. The excitement for what gift Santa will give, what resolutions we are going to keep and how many we are actually going to follow, all these things come into the mind. Not to mention my birthday, which also comes in the winter season (and which is also the main reason why I started liking winters), excites me as to how I will celebrate it, what presents I will receive and a lot more.

These are some of the reasons why I like winter the best. Some may not agree with this but then again, we are all different people and we all have different choices.

1

• buddingauthor

Thank you so much!

• bride124

I use to think that spring is the best, but now this piece is changing my perspective...

• The Bubbling Pen

I love love love Winter, so thank you so much for this piece! In Australia, we don't have a snowy Christmas, but I love all the songs like Winter Wonderland, Winter Hymnal, White Christmas, Frosty the Snowman... <3

• buddingauthor

Thankyou so much for your comment Christy!

• Christy Wisdom

I agree. This season is also a favorite for me. One thing Iove about it is the air; in summer it's so sticky, muggy, and warm. But in the winter, it's cold and crisp. Great work!