korra4life

I'm no longer on WtW and have withdrew the majority of my pieces. If you want to get in touch, you can message me on Instagram or my email (found in 'Message from Writer').

Thanks for being around, guys! Keep writing and DFTBA.

This has got to be... one of the worst things I've written. Okay, that's a lie. Most things I write are trash, but this one isn't complete trash.
Anyway, this story is about a couple trying to adopt a baby. Of course, they've already done all the legal stuff and whatnot, but now it's time for the delivery of the baby. Let me know what you think.

Delivery #serendipitouscomp

2
We stare at the pale beige wall in front of us, our hearts racing in sync. Or maybe that's just what I want. What I want, what I desire with my utmost being, is for us to be connected again. For me to know that he can feel what I feel and know what I know. 
We don't always get what we want.
But, this is my chance. My one last chance to make him realize that we can feel that connection once more. So here we wait. In the brightly lit hall, leaning against a beige wall. In front of us is a wall littered with the pictures of the babies born in this hospital. My heart swells when I look at them. 
"I love you, Julia. No matter what happens," Bernard's deep voice breaks through my thoughts. I turn to look at him in surprise. He takes my hand in his and gives it a small squeeze. I just nod, my eyes filling with tears. I lean against his shoulder and continue watching the wall.
After ten minutes of silence, I whisper, "I love you too. But I'm so worried. She's been in labor for almost a day. Isn't that far too long?" Bernard pulls away from me and shakes his head.
"Labor can take a few minutes up to a day or two. You know that, Julia. Stop worrying so much," Bernard insists. I nod again and start to pace. I can't stay still any longer. 
After the waiting becomes unbearable, I head to the cafeteria. I pass by the deserted chapel, empty hospital rooms, a few waiting rooms, several nursing desks, and many restrooms. Finally, I step through sliding glass doors and into the even brighter cafeteria. People mill about, eating, drinking, or speaking to one another. There are patients, guests, nurses, and doctors strolling through. Whereas the rest of the hospital is filled with rushing and hurrying, the cafeteria is calm. No one is rushed or in tears. Everyone is calm. 
I should be too.
I step in line and order a simple cheese and broccoli soup. I also order tea. When I finally sit down at a deserted table, I can't eat. My stomach won't settle down enough for me to do so. Letting out a huff of air, I shove my food away from me and lean back into my seat. 
The table shifts and I look to see Bernard sitting beside me. He reaches for my soup and hungrily starts to eat. I just smile and close my eyes. 
"You know, I read online that peppermint and lavender can help with labor?" I murmur. Bernard laughs lowly in between spoonfuls of soup. 
"You've read so many things online," Bernard chides. I glare and sit up.
"I think I should try it. Maybe it'll help calm her down, at least," I shrug my shoulders. I just need something to do to keep myself busy. I wish I could say that without sounding completely ridiculous.
Bernard watches me before nodding. "She doesn't want us to know who she is. You know how people are," Bernard warns. I nod and grab my purse from my side.
"Of course I know that. But I need to do something for the poor girl," I explain and stand to my feet. Bernard insists that he should wait so that he can call me if anything occurs while I'm gone. I let him stay, knowing that I would be too much of a nervous wreck if we both left the hospital. 
~
"Just put these in the room. I've already lit them for her," I whisper to the nurse. She holds the three peppermint scented candles I've shoved in her arm crookedly, her expression confused. I urge her forward and back away from the room as the door opens, the sound of moaning leaking out into the hall.
I go back to Bernard and lean against the wall again. He takes my hand in his again and smiles. "I researched your calming peppermint and lavender theory. It seems to be true. But other great scents are honey, birchwood, and the beach." 
I can't help but smile. Of course he did.
This is what I want. I want us to be together always. I want him to rely on me the same way I rely on him. I want him to remember how we were when we first fell in love. 
I almost say it aloud, but I bite my tongue. It is my secret and mine alone. He doesn't need to know how much I need him. How much I want our love to be true. 
An hour later, when my knees and heels ache, I hear screaming. I stiffen and pull away from the wall. The girl's voice is too shrill, too young. 
Several nurses dart into the room, letting her shrieks fill the hall. Bernard pulls me against him and, together, we watch the door. I can't hear anything more, so I pray that all is well. 
When a single nurse walks out to greet us, I notice his pale expression. My heart skips several beats and my lungs forget how to breathe. 
"Mr. and Mrs. Vincent, I am aware that you are adopting the baby?" the nurse asks softly. My muscles relax and I nod quickly. He continues, "The baby is currently being weighed and taken care of. It should be another hour or so before you can see her." 
"It's a girl?" I shout while Bernard asks, "Is the mother alright?" 
The nurse clears his throat and walks away. My chest tightens, but all I can think about is the baby. The beautiful baby that is now mine and Bernard's. Ours alone.
What I want, what I desire with my utmost being, is for us to be connected. For me to know that she can feel what I feel and know what I know. 
We don't always get what we want. 
But, sometimes, we do.
For Serendipity's contest here!

• Serendipity

After I read your amazing piece, I looked at the 'Message to Readers' thing and almost spat out my spaghetti that I was eating for lunch because you said this was trash - it is NOT trash at all! It is a very strong entry, tysm for entering!

You better try! 'Cause it's just way not true :DD

• majestically awkward manatee

Winners of my mini contest have been announced!

• korra4life

Thanks so much for your comment! I really appreciate it. (Can't promise not to call my writing trash but I'll try not to).

Way not trash! I really loved this and wish you some fantastic luck in the contest; this deserves to be a winner :D
    I was trying to write you a really detailed comment, but I loved so much about this piece that I can't think about it :) I like dhow you showed the relationship between the main character and her husband without actually stating it obviously. I also really liked how you showed the mc's emotions through what she says and does also; well done :DDD
    And don't ever call a piece of your writing trash again :DDDD