Eaccd622 66c5 48ab 878f 4aff3503487b

paperbird

aka paperbird spends two hours in the freezing air and can't type a word. i only just managed to get this one out.

i wanna write you a poem but january got to my fingers

13
we're three months away from
the sun's sticky wrath 
and that's the blink of an eye
to the shifting cosmos
but you know me
i can't keep track of time
so when i threw my hands to the sky
i thought it was april.
it took approximately five minutes
and three seconds
and eight parts of that---
then this happened to me:
winter swirled into my mouth
it stopped up my tongue
worst of all, my fingers
ticked and bulged and stiffened
and they can't be thawed
even if i melt them.
i wanted to write a poem for you
but now my hands are
frozen to the keys
they stop somewhere between 'p' and 'q'
and the pencil breaks when i hold it:
the graphite smears the empty page.
maybe the winter encircles your face
and maybe your eyes are ocean blue
and maybe your heart is
the gem of aphrodite
and maybe you were thrown into
my broken heart...
i wouldn't know---
i can't keep track of time.

• Kenny

“winter swirled into my mouth..”
    “i wanted to write a poem for you
    but now my hands are
    frozen to the keys” — so beautiful. I mean, the rest of it is wonderful too, but I loved these lines especially. If you ever come out with a poetry book, I’ll be screaming and throwing my money at the screen, fyi.

• JCWriter

I love your wording and the imagery in this is wonderful. The beginning especially made me smile, with the way it leads up to "i can't keep track of time / so when i threw my hands to the sky / i thought it was april."

wow, another amazing poem! is it ok to call something that isn't action filled gripping? because i swear you had a hand squeezing on my heart when i read this. this is so pure, this sense of longing and time flying by, yet standing still in the moment somehow. like standing in the rain and suddenly everything slows down. thanks for writing this, my already perfect day just got better

• paperbird

haha it doesn't get that cold where i am either. but we southerners freak out when it gets in the 40s.

• Majestically Awkward Manatee

This is so beautiful and I really enjoyed reading this! Same with korra4life, it never really gets too cold where I live (even though I'm freezing as I write this. It's gonna rain the whole week and outside is so cold.) And also, is it just me who doesn't like summer?

• korra4life

I really enjoyed this. Ha ha, where I live, it doesn't get cold. It's either hot and humid, hot, or not as hot.

• MimiChoudhury

Absolutely true and so relatable : )

• acrosstheskysky

this is such a unique piece! gorgeously written--very well done!
    my favorite lines include: "We're three months away from/the sun's sticky wrath" "winter swirled into my mouth/it stopped up my tongue"

• FamouslyInfamous

This. This right here is why I appreciate literature so much. Absolutely beautiful <3

Likewise; I was outside all morning today and have been trying to type all day... and my fingers are still not working right :D Totally feel ya here :DD
    Very beautiful poem; I love the line 'and maybe your heart is/the gem of aphrodite' That is a gorgeous idea to me :D