Erika Maldonado

If I could? (Erika Maldonado Garcia)

Dear Elisabeth,  
    If I could, I would change everything and make sure you were fine. I'm writing to you even though you can’t answer or hear me. I know that you are in a better place now, but I really miss you. Everyday is harder for me to focus in myself knowing that you're gone.    
    Remember when we first met in kindergarten we never thought we would be separated until our last year in high school. Throughout those years we had ups and downs, but we never let that get in the way. We would laugh, shed tears, get in trouble, help out, cheer people up and always prank each other. Everytime I turned to look you would be standing by my side telling me it was okay. When my family had problems and not even my own mother would talk to me you let me enter in your house, you let me call your mother my mom, you never left me. Always checking in on me making sure that there was a smile in my face. When you would see a tear rolling from my cheek your first reaction was to wipe the tear away, you never pressured me to tell you what was wrong, you would give me time. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you that day, it could’ve changed a lot. You still could’ve had texted me Elisabeth just because I wasn’t by your side and I was in Florida shouldn’t had stopped you. I always promised you I'd be there and we always had a close friendship that was unbreakable. I don’t understand what made you change, maybe you were not thinking straight. I love you Elisabeth, I really do and I would had taken a bullet for you if I had to. You were my one and only best friend and I would never thought I would lose you.
    I will never forget that day feels as if it was yesterday, August 11, 2014. It was 1:30 am when my phone started ringing, I was excited to answer thinking it was you, but then I heard your mom's voice. From the instant I answered I could tell something was wrong because your mom was always cheerful and today she wasn’t. It took about ten minutes for her to be able to find her words to talk. They had found you in the bathroom, blood and pills all over the bathroom floor. My heart dropped, I just lost my best friend, I thought it was a dream, but it wasn’t. That exact day at 3:00 am I went to the airport to go back, trying to realize that it was real and you wouldn’t be by my side any longer. Till this day I’ll I have left from you is memories. I’m not quite sure why you ended your life, you never told me anything about you been depressed or having problems. Even if you can’t respond I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate everything you have done for me, for been the best person, for loving and caring me. I will always love you and miss you.
                                                                                            Sincerely,
                                                                                            Your Best Friend Stacy