Image

Ash

Female. Youngest of six. Pretty (?), sarcastic, Tom-boyish, and very much a geek.

I guess I should say honest feedback is best but nothing crazy brutal. That said, please don't go to the other extreme and try to spare my feelings. Be descriptive and truthful because I really want to improve.

Evan's Epiphany

Life just sucked.

That was the thought that entered Evan Parker's mind as he dashed underneath the nearby awning covering the bench at the train stop just before the rain, like everything else in his life, got worse. Who the hell even took the train anymore? There were thousands of cars, buses, subways, even bikes for the eco-friendly; it wasn't necessary anymore, was it?

He laid his head in his hands and used them to slowly rub away the migraine and, perhaps with a bit of luck, the entire memory of today. He just should have known it would end like this.

He just should have known.

Should have known that nothing ever went as planned.

"There's no such thing as a plan that works on the first run."

Those were his words that he had repeated time and time again; why had he forgotten them?

"Jess." The name slipped off his tongue with ease and it was out into the open air before he even realized it. Jesse. She was perfect, absolutely perfect in the way that she was completely flawed. Oh God, dear God, why did he ever meet that demon? The minute he saw her with her boyfriend, his target for Pete's sake, he hated her, hated her more than he had loved anyone before. Her tongue was a dagger she'd unsheath and point at anyone, but she'd just as soon as stab you as embrace you with a smothering hug. She'd wear heels at all times no matter how hard they pinched her feet just for the sole reason she could. She hated the outdoors but always wanted to learn how to climb a tree. She was as sour as rotten fruit but an optimist through and through with her naive ideals. Jess, the one thing that could make a criminal's life even more complicated.

He knew it was wrong, even he with his twisted morals just knew it was wrong to get involved with anyone. But the desire to see what he always missed out on was just too great. He was born into this business, had taken his first steps in the underbelly of society, and had been taught to take what he wanted when he wanted as long as he could make a clean getaway. Why feel sorry for the people he pick-pocketed so he could get a mouthful of bread in the morning? Why piety the fool who said his locker combination aloud when all his stuff was in there? Why feel bad about manipulating anyone when he himself was stuck in this situation because of idiots like them? And as Evan grew up and his crocked parents slowly died, he kept living as he always did, constantly moving, constantly lying, constantly pretending that other people's lives were dull and dreary. Jess had shattered those lies.

He only wanted to steal what was in Andrew McClain's freakin' safe: cash, some jewelry, and a few pieces of art. He'd stolen more valuable things before: ancient artworks, celebrities' sports cars, people's life savings. This was a simple job that required only two weeks of false friendships. The man was too trusting, weak security systems and few people ever in the giant mansion besides him and his girl made it an easy mark. Then after he had become bff's with the idiot and was surveying the area, he just HAD to bump into the girl. Dear Lord, why did he agree to step foot in that place again, especially at Jess' invitation when she mentioned how it would be just the two of them?

Evan hated himself. He could have walked away from his past, started a bright new future with a friend, but no, he couldn't do it. He slipped the powder in her wine glass at dinner and guaranteed her eight hours of blissful drug-induced sleep. It'd be a miracle if she remembered what color dress she wore that day, let alone remember inviting "Dillon" over for the evening. And it wasn't enough just to lie and steal her belongings. No, he had to cover his tracks. He brought her to her bedroom and tucked her in, stayed a few days longer to make himself look less suspicious, and only left because "his uncle had just passed." His briefcase full of the stolen goods felt as if it was burning hot, making it all the more appealing to just throw the entire thing in the nearest dumpster. He'd regret this crime for the rest of his life, not because of what he stole but who he stole it from. Evan had needed the cash so he could finally disappear from everyone, but that hardly mattered anymore. This was the cleanest getaway he had in years but he wasn't grinning. Life just sucked.

A train pulled up along the tracks and a conductor shouted out, "You gettin' on? Last train of the night."

Evan shock his head. "No, just waiting for a friend."

"I think you're the only one crazy enough to be out in a storm!" he said with a grin.

"Look who's talkin'."

The conductor smiled as he closed the door and the train sped off. Maybe trains still had some use. Evan looked down at his watch. It was ten minutes past eight. Andrew probably just opened the empty safe five minutes ago. He wasn't a complete idiot: he still opened to metal box once a week to ensure its continents were still there. Yeah, 'cause that plan worked so well. The police were at least still thirteen minutes away, if they even caught his trail by now. He'd better start walking if he wanted to cross the state border by noon tomorrow. He'd always regret the friend he'd lost, but some regrets have to be carried with you silently until they're taken to the grave.

1