Wu.Z

Ireland

Hello there! I'm a seventeen year old aspiring author or screenwriter and as curious as a new born kitten.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier brings a chill to the Marvel franchise.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier brings a chill to the Marvel franchise.

Captain America : The Winter Solider takes place after the events of the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time The Avengers. After the team have successfully defended New York against an alien invasion, Steve Rogers aka Captain America (Chris Evans) goes back to working for the Earth protecting organisation SHEILD. He continues to adjust to modern life after have been frozen in the Arctic for 70 years with the help of former spy now Avenger, the Black Widow, Natasha Romanov (Scarlett Johansson). Cap soon finds that that the modern principles and values, especially those that relate to public safety, juxtaposes his black and white 1940's viewpoint. While such a character would appear on paper as tiresome, Rogers is endearing and we can easily root for him. The pragmatic viewpoint is demonstrated when director of SHIELD, Nick Fury (Samuel Jackson) decides to deploy helicarriers that preemptively eliminate threats.Cap astutely says "I thought the punishment came after the crime", reflecting his aversion to this new world of espionage. After an assassination attempt calls into question everything Cap believes about the organisation he works for, he and Natasha start to investigate, all the while facing down a new opponent:The eponymous Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan).  Along the way the duo are assisted by war veteran and councilor Sam Wilson aka The Falcon (Anthony Mackie). Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford) a councilman and friend to Nick Fury is an enigmatic supporting character that represents a higher authority in SHIELD but as Cap finds out, cannot be trusted. 

Amid the character driven story  and the conspiracy thriller like plot, directors, Anthony and Joe Russo have made this one of the most battle heavy movies in the franchise so far. From the opening scene where Captain America and Black Widow sneak onto a cargo ship and take down a couple of mooks to every scene the Winter Soldier is in with the strength and speed that rivals that of captain America along with his terrifying metal arm. The stunt men surely had their work cut out for them. Fights were intense earning the film it's pg-13 rating but the fights in the latter part of the film provide an emotional depth that is truly profound. However many sequences provide little in moving the plot along and are too violent for younger viewers.

When it comes to visuals it's the set of Washington DC is filmed in the ever versatile Cleveland, Ohio. Cinematography was sharp and clean cut especially with the use of shadow around the Winter Soldier highlighting his almost ghost like appearance in the film. 
Another triumph to the film it gives Black Widow a more prominent role and discernible personality than in the previous films. She accomplishes more than just providing all the estrogen to the male ensemble. We get a glimpse into her past and understand her motivations. She is also a source of most of the humor and wit in the otherwise heavy handed and tense atmosphere. No one can forget her match making attempts for Cap even in the face of certain danger which she calls "multi tasking".
Captain America himself also receives a good dose of development. His steadfast old-fashioned beliefs are put to the test and it's thrilling to see how he comes out of it. Will he still be the same man who came out of the ice? He's a flat-arc character who positively influences those around, now we can see how these changes and unfolded truths will affect him.

All in all, the film's writers have ensured that everyone who sees  The Winter Soldier will not leave empty-handed. Whether it's the complex narrative or the death defying fight scenes, there's something for everyone that's at the age of 13 or over.