Daffodil in sun

Quille

Rare species of wingless faerie.

I like to tell stories... but I don't think I'm good at it.....
:)

The Third Voice

8
I always loved to tell stories.
Sometimes I imagined myself as the Storygirl or Sara Crewe from A Little Princess.
I always wanted to make people feel and see my stories unfolding before their eyes.
But I didn't think I had the magic.
I would stutter or change my mind mid-sentence any time I tried to tell a story to my siblings.
They were patient, but I could tell my tellings bored them sometimes.
I couldn't make my eyes sparkle or act out the different voices of characters.
Sometimes I made gestures with my hands, but I usually forgot.
My stories weren't real, not even to me. I could never affect people like the tellers I read about did.
Why did I even bother trying?
Because, a voice whispered to me when I was ready to give up storytelling, because you are a voice. You have a voice. Perhaps it's not like Sara's, but you have a voice and you have stories. Yes, you stutter and change the story as you tell it. Yes, the pictures you create aren't the best. But you can still tell beautiful stories with your voice.
My voice is terrible. Nobody likes to hear it. It doesn't make pictures. It doesn't bring stories to life.
You're using the wrong voice.
What do you mean?
There are different voices in everybody. I am one of yours. Your speaking voice is one.
My writing voice is a third.
I learned that soon.
Now I write my stories. I don't stutter with a pen. I can rewrite my sentences before anybody reads them. I can put more into the pictures.
Perhaps the stories I write still don't affect anybody the way I want, my eyes don't sparkle, I forget gestures. Maybe people still hate to hear it.
But still.
My writing voice has become my favorite.

I don't even want to think how terrible my speaking voice can be! Especially when I do impersonations :D
    Thank you guys for the comments; they're wonderfully encouraging :DDD

• Kahasai

I relate to this on such a deep level it's a little scary. The voice I use for speaking is rather lacking.

• LyraLynne

I. LOVE. THIS. It's literally exactly how I feel! You did such a good job with this!

Thank you :D I definitely have trouble making up a story and telling it right off the top of my head, but writing is easier. I'm hoping this piece will be helpful to somebody 'cause that's why I wrote it :DDD
    Thank you all very much for the encouraging comments :DDDD

• Riley Noel

I love this so much! The way you inspire your reader to find their own voice and express themselves in their own way is beautiful. I can read books out loud with different voices and gestures but it's hard for me to tell an original tale off the top of my head too!

I'm glad that you find it inspirational :DD I hoped it would be :D

• PureHeart

Love the way you give the readers insight on who you really are, so they are able to see your emotions. This piece is overall inspirational and I relate to it alot!

Thank you :D

• AbigailSauble

Great reminder! We are all our own person. We all do things differently; which doesn't mean that it's wrong.