I Like Pie

all of my pieces are gonna be depressing af cuz junior year really be bringin that depression back in full force man

also pumpkin pie > apple pie fight meeeeeee

uau is that evangeline lilly making me gayer? yes

Wasp-it Worth It? A Suffici-Ant New Chapter

It has betrayal. It has reunion. It has family. And it has a plentiful bank of ant-related puns to keep you company as Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp takes you on ride after ride after ride. In Marvel’s latest comedic break, the 2018 science fiction comedy dabbles in the meaningful moments, action sequences, science based tech, and extraordinary visuals which make Marvel great.

Riding on the heels of one of the year’s biggest hits, Avengers: Infinity War, Ant-Man and the Wasp portrays a far different narrative for criminal-turned-superhero Scott Lang two years after the events of Captain America: Civil War.

The movie starts with Lang entertaining his daughter three days from ending house arrest, his life finally coming back together. Everything is fine; that is, until he finds himself donning the suit yet again to assist former associates Hope Van Dyne and Hank Pym, leading him - and the viewer - on yet another fantastical journey.

When it comes to acting, the cast is all set. Paul Rudd is comfortable in his character, aptly expressing emotions in a style true to his character. But the real star is Evangeline Lilly, finally receiving the superhero role her character should have possessed last movie.

Lilly exudes a cool confidence, perfectly mixed with Hope’s new “I don’t care” personality. She aces her trade offs with Rudd, drawing towards her an attention she didn’t receive last movie.

Along with the rest of the cast, she incorporates the character development seamlessly. Already, the characters have changed since last movie; some have hardened due to their situations, while others have matured. The writers were able to anticipate the effects different situations have on the characters and incorporate them, granting a realistic touch that enhances the film immensely.

But acting and character development don’t make the whole movie. Like any other superhero film, AMatW is dependent upon special effects - after all, it’s not like humans can shrink to the size of an ant on the regular.

As per usual, the visual effects team incorporates the changes beautifully - the details of the characters in shrunken or largened states are still retained all throughout the film, an impressive feat considering the vast size changes occuring throughout.

The graphics meld into the action sequences, with the characters’ size changes fitting into the choreography as if it were happening in real life. Major props to the stunt team; action sequences are hard enough with life sized humans, but pretending to be flung across the room by an ant? That takes skill.

Yet for the extravagance of the effects, from a Quantum Realm reminiscent of an LSD trip to the often confusing layered effects around Ghost, the antagonist, it isn’t new for Marvel. While extraordinary in their own right, it’s expected of the studio.

Every scene is accompanied by a score composed by Christophe Beck, who brilliantly mans the orchestra to raise tensions and signal victories. Even listening after the film itself, the score never fails to raise hairs or set heartbeats racing.

Yet for all the beauty the composition provides, it can’t help the trainwreck of a plot. At a first glance, it’s fun: man rejoins estranged team on yet another adventure, battling bad guys, putting his own touch of fatherhood, cracking one liners and cracking grins in the audience.

Instead, the plot provides a disconnected team possessing little regard for Lang’s wellbeing, whose one-dimensional goal somehow drives the whole movie; they’re then pitted against an antagonist with little connection to their goal. It’s a movie with science mumbo jumbo so excessive, the film itself takes a jab at it.

Besides, the film’s numerous separate parties makes it even more difficult to discern which actions are directed towards whom.

However, the film’s saving grace would have to be it’s presentation of the healthy families often unseen in the Marvel Universe. For what seems like the first time in cinematic history, the movie’s father and stepfather actually share a supportive relationship.

Indeed, Lang is shown to prioritize his daughter and their relationship. The Marvel Universe’s portrayal of superhero parents is limited; the majority of parents in general are dead.

Lang is proof that family doesn’t make life more or less difficult; it’s your outlook that makes the difference.

Ant-Man and the Wasp isn’t bad. In fact, most parts were good. Laden with visuals, action, tech and the family moments that have made Marvel exceptional in the past, the film just falls short of the mark set by its predecessor. At the surface, it’s a fun flick. But with a subpar plotline and a gross multitude of characters, it attempts to do too much with too little, leaving the audience with a good, fun, but still very average film.

• majestically awkward manatee

Great title!! And also, I love your username. I love pie too and that used to be my username in every game I played. :)

• chethana

I really loved your title! Your review was also very well written.

• The Bubbling Pen

I love your title :) What a great way to catch attention! <3