Reybackground

Luna Lemon

My name is Luna Lemon (Or at least my pseudonym is). My favorite book is Harry Potter and my favorite show is Doctor Who. I also love the Lunar Chronicles, Hunger Games, LOTR, and Percy Jackson. I enjoy writing poems, novels, short stories and more!

Feel free to write a review about anything you like or anything you'd like me to work on. Thanks!

Ghost Stories

7
    My mom told me stories growing up. Stories of ghosts who long before even she was born had wandered our old town.
    "But how come I've never seen one?" I had asked.
    "They're hidden," her voice was low as she had muttered the last few words, "in plain sight."
    A bowl left next to a pile of fruit, never once seeming to be filled. A clock in the corner where the hands had become frozen with rust. A book with blank pages as no trace of ink so much as even brushed against the crinkled paper.
    She had warned me that if I ever saw such a thing, I should come straight to her.
    But, as years passed, her words became nothing more than fiction. Ghosts were outlandish, I laughed at the idea as someone may at the tooth fairy.
    Those laughs seem so distant now.
    I was in high school when it happened. As winter sneaked in on tiptoes, my mother's lungs changed with the weather. Her breaths shallow. Her face pale. She coughed more than she talked. And when she did, her words were scratchy. Hoarse. Unrecognizable from the warm voice that had filled my head with stories as a child.
    Then, the time had come on one wintry night. They told me I had five minutes to hold her hand. Five more minutes of her eyes open for me. Of her smile. 
    "The picture frame." She whispered, her arms shakily reaching towards the small table. I smiled, the picture blurry through my drowning eyes. But, I still remembered that day permanently stained in the photograph. My mother's brown hair that fell to her waist, my small hands grasping one lock with a mischievous smile plastered on my face. Her surprised smile as her eyes widened, a moment we still laughed about years after.
    "Keep it." She croaked out, gently placing my hands around the silver frame.
    "Of course, mama. I will." I said, forcing a smile on my shaky lips. She let out a breath as she leaned farther back into her pillow. Her eyes pointing blindly towards the white ceiling without a sign of ever closing them again.
    I don't know who, but gentle arms embraced me as I was lead out of the room. The frame still tightly grasped in my hand.
    A man told me to wait in a chair, but I hardly took in his words. All I could feel was her hands around my own, letting the picture stay close to my heart.
    Someone drove me home. My arms wrapped around my knees the entire time with the seat belt laying loosely by my side. The cold silence heavied my bones.
    I don't remember if I said thank you to the driver, or what they even looked like. I hardly glanced back as I sat on the smooth, wooden floor shutting the door behind me with a crash. But, what I saw stronger than anything else I remember that day, was the frame. My fingers turned white in my tight grip around the precious silver.
    Then, I looked down. 
    My breaths stopped. My heart nearly tore through my chest.
    The picture was gone, leaving the frame empty.
    As I had stared back at its plain surface, chills prickled from my fingertips until they slowly reached the top of my head. My eyes were wide, unable to blink.
    Not a sound broke through the house except my stolen breaths and my heart pounding against my ears.
    But, as I stared at the blank picture frame, I couldn't help but return to the days where I laid snug under a blanket, stories widening my eyes.
    "Hidden in plain sight." I whispered, my mother's voice resurfacing in my mind.
    The years of laughing at the absurdity of her stories seemed to drain from my memory. 
    For everyday since that night years ago, I swear I can hear the echo of her laugh each time the empty frame rests against my fingertips.

1

• Ryder

You still there?

1 day ago
  • mrcolinredwards

Hey, Luna Lemon, u there at all? Where'd you go? I haven't heard from you in a while, girl and I really miss you! I miss your sweetness and kind words, you're so awesome! If you can contact me soon, that'd be great! Btw, have a couple updates. 1. I am writing a story request for a friend, Cololo231, and revising an old story of mine.

Girl, where are you?????

I miss you so much!

I guess you're still gone :) That's okay; I hope everything is going great for you :DDD Um, lots of stuff has happened recently.
    1) there was a pretty big user rebellion against censorship and all the participating users got kicked off. Xavier Nelson, Kahasai, Big Blue, spearmint, paperbird, and I think there was another, but I don't remember.
    2) I am leaving WtW--by choice. It doesn't actually coincide with the rebellion as much as it seems. I'm going to be here a few more weeks finishing up reviews for everybody before I leave, so hopefully I'll see you again before I'm gone :) I unpublished the pieces I was telling you about except for the link to the book cover.
    3) I really, really miss you!!

xxxx Quille
    Write free!

• rosemarywisdom

HEY!!! How's stuff going?! Been a while, hasn't it, my old friend...

Just so you know... https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/108737/version/207322

New Unspoken update. No pressure to read, I just want you to check it out. Need feedback ASAP is all <3

Love ya!
    Roses

Hey, how's life going? It's been a while since I've seen you and I miss you on here :)
    Um, I'm going to be publishing Elfboy next month if everything goes well and I was wondering if you could give me an opinion on the cover; here's a link that takes you to (yet another) link that will take you to the picture. Yeah, sorry about the run-around, but if you'd care to take a look:
    There's also like six more Elfboy-related pieces up, an interview between Chris and El, a couple POV exercises, and random stuff. You don't have to worry about reading it, but I would really appreciate your opinion on the cover.
    Thanks,
    Quille :D

• Kahasai

Wow ... I was wondering how you'd incorporate the ghost story into the ending ... Amazing metaphors, though it's taking me a second look to actually find them, since I was so enraptured I didn't actually see the words. I saw images. :)

Great work, as usual.

• Luna Lemon

Aw, thanks so much @muppet:) That means a lot to me and definitely get some sleep, there's no rush whatsoever. I'm glad you could enjoy my piece, I love your's:)

• muppet

it's very much The Nighttime right now and my eyes wont focus but In the morn I shall read and review this lovely piece!

• Luna Lemon

Thanks @Catlover:)

• Catlover

I really enjoyed reading this! Good job, you made the story short but powerful! :)

• Luna Lemon

Aw, thanks so much @Quille! Your comments are always so appreciated:) Thank you for taking the time to write something about my piece, I always love hearing your thoughts<3

You're welcome :D I enjoy reading your pieces very much and wanted to let you know that I did :))
    Thank you also ;DD

I literally have nothing to say after reading this :D It was breathtaking, left me speechless, and simply fantabulous! I love the phrase 'winter sneaked in on tiptoes' and 'not a sound broke through the house except my stolen breaths'. The whole of this is very staggeringly awesome, but those lines really stood out :D
    Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDD