Gustav klimt 068

Oscar_Locke

feeling every feeling.

i hope this becomes a meme.

Oscar Gets Pretentious

8
 A friend asked me how I wrote things that are interesting.

1. Find something to write about that means something to you. The moment you won a sporting event, or your first kiss. The scary movie you watched with your friends that seemed to become real. The town secret. The time you got lost in the woods. Your best friend. God. It doesn’t have to matter to anyone else -- the only person you have to please is yourself. 

2. Feel the thing. Hold it inside you. How the cookie tasted. How the Ferris wheel stopped, with you at the top. How you feel, vertically down, into the river below. Know how it connects to you, and how it connects to others. Let the thing possess you.

3. Pick some images, some metaphors, and some similes. Leaves aren’t just leaves, they’re also the feathers of trees. Your boyfriend isn’t a mortal, he’s a star -- with moldavite eyes, rare and rich as uranium. Depression isn’t a state of emotion -- it’s your cells collapsing in on themselves. It’s reversed life.

4. Let it fall, messily, onto the page.

5. Let it sit for a few minutes.

6. Let yourself be proud of making something.

7. Come back to your piece of writing, understand it, read it, pull everything apart. Think and feel at the same time.

8. Edit the hell out of what you’ve written. It doesn’t matter if the first draft is radically different to the tenth -- save all of them on the ark of the hard drive. Chart how they’ve changed, why you’ve changed it, and why you are content on it being in its current state. Turn the piece upside down. Delete segments. Delete all of it. Rewrite every second word. Continuing going until you know that you’ve captured your chosen thing completely.

9. Read it once again.

10. “Publish it.” The piece will never truly be done -- improvement is never done. But there comes a point where you can’t keep going, mentally and emotionally, on about one thing. Pull the trigger, kill the creative process, and leave the pristine piece you’ve written behind.

There, how to write something interesting. Now go and do something with this.

• January 7, 2019 - 8:58am (Now Viewing)

• green.eyes.gurl

*shook* *feeling as though enough has not been done* *realizing essay is supposed to be read* WOW! I will definitely keep this in mind the next time I am writing a piece (probably not gonna be for a few days at least; lot of homework, end of marking period 1 week from tomorrow, Future City competition 1 week from Saturday-- HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF ******** **** ***** ******* *** *********** WE ARE NOT READYYY!!!) and the time after that, and the time after that, and so on.

• she's-got-a-story

"gets"?

tbh these are really good tips tyvm

• Kahasai

That's goddamn inspiring. Excuse me--I'm going to go write now.