Img 6004

R.j.Elsewhere

In every bit of truth, my writing is pretty terrible and by being here, I hope to improve it. Anyways, all you have to know about me is that I love coffee, my cat, and food, and of course, writing and reading. And I hate the way 'Lemon' is spelt.

Say it, and risk the humiliation; scream it, or whisper, or write it - even paint it on your skin. Just say it . All you're afraid to speak, do it with a shaky voice, and small trembling hands - and say it. Say it with your last breath, be it faint, and whisper thin, or meet death quietly. Let it fall off your lips, and rid the air of its emptiness. Say it. I am a nerd.

R.j's Book Recommendations to help you with your writing...I guess

8
Okay. So I hate taking part in trying to inform people on this site about my life like it's twitter or something - because WtW isn't twitter. 

But I do want to put out some amazing books to the WtW community that I have fell in love with over the years and I think are worth sharing. 

For me, a big part of being a good writer is reading. Reading and analyzing novels and plays and any other form of written text is like learning and educating myself on how I can make myself a better writer; how I can  bend and break the writing 'norms' and introduce something new for the audience. Each book is a Professor in a art I am yet to master. 

So now to put my money where my mouth is and actually give you guys something to hopefully go checkout.

(P.S. Each title is linked to the book's summaries and info on Goodreads if you want to check them out)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell 
Okay, so I just finished the fourth book in this series and I must say it was my favorite by far. If you want to learn how to write a character's personal development extraordinarily well, de Castell does a fine job with his character, Kellen, in this series.

As you follow Kellen through his journey as a half-baked mage who really just doesn't fit in well in a society so sickly obsessed with power and reign like his, you come to see that he isn't the best protagonist - like, at all. He's not a hero and the boy can barely hold his own in a fight. He's really just a kid with a few tricks up his sleeves and one hell of a woman at his side. Yes, Ferius Parfax is a character that you WILL fall in love with - her wit and 'swagger' is something that has all charmed. 

Honestly. This series stole my heart. A big recommendation from R.j.

2. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
Nevernight - Jesus, did this book slaughtered my emotions. Not only is the world building and description something god-given, but Kristoff added a number of interesting elements within the series (only two books so far but the third coming out this year) that you don't see in just any other. Honestly I praise this man like a God. I WISH my writing was as good as his. Plus, Kristoff is not scared to do the strange when it comes to his writing style and formatting - he's really taught me about stepping out of my comfort zone when writing.

Mia Corvere has three things in life: Her loyal companion Mister Kindly (who - spoilers - isn't all that kind) the cat who isn't a cat at all but rather a talking, walking, sassy shadow. A dangerously gorgeous dagger from her mother which she would never part from. And the almost suffocating need to obtain vengeance on her father's and family's murderers and become a super-duper badass Blade of the Lady of Blessed Murder. Really, she's just like any other 17 year old. 

I know not many find this series all that attractive because of the heavy descriptions and odd formatting but this book changed me as a person and as a writer so much. Just give it a shot. You will either love it or hate it. 

3. Sleeping Beauties by Stephan and Owen King
This father and son duo was something gorgeous in my eyes. Not only did they take an something as simple as a sleeping spell and turn it into something as spell bounding as Sleeping Beauties, but the characters within are just truly odd but well thought out. Concept and plot is something well constructed within the book and I had a ball discovering all the mind turning plot twists. 

Women all around the world have fallen to a disease which holds them captive to sleep until woken, where they turn into savage creatures. Yet one woman has yet to fall to the disease - why? 

Honestly, I don't want to give much away because one string of information will unravel a whole sweater of plot. But I know this book is also very much 'hit or miss', but it's still a great book if you want to learn how to bounce scenes successfully.

4. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
Damn, I must say I do love Wilde's plays. Other than this legend, Salome is also a personal fave. I've always struggled writing both romance and comedy but these really helped. Now - I still suck. But I'm waaay better after reading Wilde's play The Importance of Being Earnest. 

Love triangles, secretes, lies,and hidden identities are just the beginning of wooing the two Miss Gwendolen Fairfax and Miss Cecily Cardew. Funny thing is they're both beginning wooed by the same guy (the mythical Ernest) who is...also two other guys... but not the same guy? Lets just say Jack and Algernon have a LOT of explaining to do.

Plays are a excellent way to build and develop great dialog and character, plus if you struggle with comedy and/or romance like me, this will helps lots. Plus, it's a great read. 

5.The Story of Tom Brennan by J. C. Burke
Honestly. THIS BOOK IN MY EYES IS  S H I T. But hey, you gotta read shit to know how NOT to make shit. i could do a whole rant about how terrible this book is. But still, give it ago, you might like it (if you do I'm sorry but please block me). But you will learn from it. Sadly.

Anyways, Tom goes through some family shit (which is bad), then meets a girl - then everything is all happy again because of sex. The end. 

I fucking hate this book but somehow I learnt from it so fuck it. 

-R.j
Enjoy. 

• January 4, 2019 - 6:21am (Now Viewing)

• green.eyes.gurl

I love getting new book recommendations!!! Thank you so much for lessening my nonexistent social life into negative numbers!!!!!!! :D

BLOODY TOM BRENNAN
    everything else is totally accurate

• The Bubbling Pen

Thank you so much for this book recommendation list!!!! I agree 100% on 'The Importance Of Being Earnest' - it is gold. To anyone who's finished reading it, there's an awesome movie with a great cast (Colin Firth, Frances O'Connor, Rupert Everett, Reese Witherspoon) so please check it out <3

Thanks again R.j.Elsewhere for the detailed list =)

• Kahasai

I just started reading Stormdancer but Jay Kristoff, and so far I'm really liking it. I have Nevernight in my possession, so that's where I'm probably going next.

Thanks for the list!

• Oscar_Locke

I agree with you on Nevernight and Spellslinger. They're awesome.

Have you read the Illuminae trilogy, by any chance? They're also by Jay Kristoff and I've never loved a series as much. Also, taught me a lot about a e s t h e t i c.

• Christy Wisdom

Oh my goodness, I absolutely LOVE the Purpose of being Earnest!! It'so great :)