Picture?width=128&height=128

Gabby Nicholls

I am a 16 year old Australian girl. I live in Victoria. I am in my final year of school, and I plan to study criminology in Canberra next year - but writing is my main passion. I'm about as socially adept as a clam shell. That's because I'm a writer.

I have a published book called Powerless, and it is the story of the very human Jessica LaTista who has been inserted into a world of magic. Her best friend has become magical, and she must learn how to cope with being the sidekick, with playing second fiddle to her best friend. It's a book about friendship, and how to stay human and sane in a world that seems to be anything but. It's the story of the sidekick, and it represents all of the bypassed, unpowerful best friends in any classic hero tale. Jessica LaTista is human, and she is powerless, and she is us. The regular people who only wish we could be part of the story.

Emeralds

PROMPT: 0-9

1
Nine
    I hear the voice boom through the room, making the windows shake and my ears pop.    
Eight
    Eight seconds. Eight seconds left. Only eight seconds for me to tell you.
Seven

I should tell you. I should tell you. I need to tell you.
Six
    You need to know. 
Five
    I can't bring myself to say it. How do you tell your best friend something like this? 
Four

I lock eyes with you, your bright emeralds shining through the dark, poisonous cloud descending on us.
Three

You look terrified.
Two

I can't tell you.
One
    Your eyes close and I watch you collapse. 
Zero
    I'm sorry I did this. Now you're gone forever.