Daffodil in sun

Quille

Rare species of wingless faerie.

Hurry to enter!!!!!! :DD

#MWTWFstory

3

I have always been a writer. I can remember my dreams of writing a novel from when I was very little.
But I never attempted it. Not until I was about twelve and my sister and I went into a collaboration that somehow ended in both of us writing different books; we didn't have a fight or anything, our plots just drifted away.
Mine took me the best part of six years to bring to a conclusion--and it still needs work.
A nice contrast with my latest works: Elfboy, which took less than three months; and its two sequels, each of which took me less than three weeks.
What happened to help me write so much faster (and definitely better)?
Well, a number of things. I stopped playing games with my siblings, I learned to prioritize, and I learned that writing books was more fun and fulfilling than reading them.
And I found WtW.
I came here by accident. 100% accident as far as I know.
It was just this past August.
My sister was getting married in a month and I wanted to at least earn the money to pay for my bridesmaid dress. The only two ways I had of doing that were my needlework and my writing. I tried knitting and crocheting things like hats and scarves to sell. And I do love needlework,  but I can only do so much before I get totally brain-dead.
I decided to try a less stressful course and enter a piece of my writing in a contest.
I did a Google search for writing contests and WtW came up. I decided to check it out.
The contest going on right then was personal narrative--way not my favorite, but I needed to try. I decided to polish up a piece I’d written a while ago and use it. That piece was A Lesson In Cards, definitely not the best of my writing or my experiences, but I entered it anyway.
Then I realized that I had to join the community. I had been seventeen years without social media and I didn’t really want to start then. Really, the idea scared me a good bit.
I asked my mom if it was all right to join until the contest was over. She said O.K.
I got on the site and opened an account, putting up a random flower picture for my profile and writing a bunch of my favorite things in my bio. I thought it should at least not be blank while I waited for the contest to end.
During the next few days, I would scroll through the dashboard, mingling carefully with few people. I might as well enjoy it while it lasted, right?
Before I knew it, I had followers, was following, and getting minuscule popularity for my works.
My first review (a really bad one if you ask me:) was for Luna Lemon. I caught sight of her poem ‘Under Every Stone’ on the dashboard and was so intrigued by it that I wrote a review on the spot. She, being the awesome person she is, commented on it back and forth with me for a good bit, forging my first real friendship on here.
That poem also inspired me to try writing some free-form poetry of my own, of which I have now published a large quantity. 
After about a week, I saw the rise of the Corner Writing Club. I thought it might be a good chance to hone my reviewing skills as well as receive some feedback. It was, and also triggered friendship number two when _TJNR@cheshire_ and I were assigned to review each other's pieces.
Things started to go pretty good and I was having fun. When I lost the contest, I forgot to leave.
For a while, I just wrote random stuff, enjoying about thirty followers and reviewing as much as I could, which I still do because I love it (hopefully getting better).
Things took a huge turn when I entered the novel writing competition with the first chapter of Elfboy.
I spent hours asking people to read it, review it, or whatever. I followed, commented, and liked—all the while trying to promote my book. I never expected the massive support I got.
Not everybody responded, but those who did amazed me. Because of their support, I posted twenty-five chapters on here. Almost every time I published, I came back to find almost twenty notifications awaiting me (the record was over fifty). Hardly believing that anyone would stay with me that long to read all of it, I was totally flabbergasted when they did.
The friends I made while I was posting it have been some of my closest and I can still hardly believe the way they came out of the woodwork:  korra4life, RNE, AminahMcBina—whom I really miss, Suhanee_The_Intellect, Majestically Awkward Manatee, Silver Pen, Mangolover, Dmoral13, nesi_nez. (If I missed your name, I’m really sorry) My older friends, Luna Lemon, _TJNR@cheshire_, and also the two hosts of the CWC, RainAndSonder and Paperbird, were still there too. I was amazed.
Especially when I finished posting the book and they still stuck with me. 
I started posting another book--Fairy Chains--but since I'm still working on Elfboy, it's going to take longer to put that one up.
So, I came to WtW by accident and didn't leave. I don't plan to either. This site has given me so much support, coaching, friendship, and just plain awesomeness that I will stay until I have to leave. During my experience on here, I've learned to give honest, constructive, and supportive feedback; I've written three book drafts, I've made more friends than ever in my life, and had amazing fun. 
Hi :D
For MimiChoudhury 's contest. Its Contest Time!!! hurry up to enter! Deadline is today :)

• January 1, 2019 - 9:27am (Now Viewing)

Thanks; I like the make people cry with my writing :D You're awesome :DD
    I'd love to hear the story of how you got here :))

• HeadInTheClouds

Awww Quille, you made my tears occur *sniff* *sniff*, I also have a very comical story about how I got here....but that's another story. Love you Quille!!

I'm really glad I didn't leave too :D And I definitely consider you guys some of the best friends I've had.
    Thank you both for the awesomeness you've given me :DD

• korra4life

This is incredible, and I'm really glad to know that you consider us friends. Your writing is truly amazing and I know you'll get even better in the future.
    Glad you've decided not to leave WtW.

• Luna Lemon

Aw, this was so well-written and I loved reading your story! It's amazing how much you've grown in this short amount of time, I remember reading the first piece I read of yours(Whispers #2) like yesterday! I'm glad we're friends on this site and that you could be inspired by something I wrote. I loved reading Elf Boy and all your other beautifully written works and can't wait for what you have in store for us in the future!
    Thanks for sharing your story and keep up your amazing writing:)

It was because of you guys :DDD I've never had that many notifications before, or since :DD Thank you!!!!

• paperbird

this is a thoughtful and well-written essay. also 50 notifications??!! that’s amazing.