C4169777 e672 4366 aeaf 6039dd75ab6d

timtam.9

The negatives can be deafening, but the positives are no longer whispers drifting on the wind. And isn’t that exciting?

My passions include but are not limited to; Greek mythology, writing (obviously), reading, drawing,
N E T F L I X, food and family.
I like books that are about independent people fighting on physical or mental battlefields. I like anime, k-dramas, webtoons, musicals and school (believe it or not). I hope you had a good day. Or at least a day with a book in it. Books make things better ( ;

#serendipitouscomp- Peppermint eyes

4
My heart yearns as I stand, a sad little puppy, outside our park. How? How did this happen? I did everything right- be a gentleman, take her on fun dates, support her, get her gifts, love her. Why didn’t she love me back?
“Did you want a lift home?” She smiles at me, her bright red hair blinding in this light. My eyes burn. “John?”
I forget how to speak.
I forget how to breathe.
I forget how to not be in love.
“Um... I’m fine... thanks.” I will not cry. I will not cry. Those peppermint eyes will not see me so vulnerable. They’ve seen enough.
“I’m going to head off now,” Her smile disappears as she lays her hand on my shoulder. “I hope you can understand. It was never my intention to hurt you.”
For the last time in my life, I watch her walk away from me. She gets in her silver Sudan, grips onto the steering wheel and leaves me stranded on the middle of the sidewalk. Tears trickle down my cheeks, falling only to stain the concrete

***
“John”
Kim? 
“Kim!” Where is she?
“John... I loved you, John”
“Kim!” I’m screaming now, looking around as the sky turns a minty green. Peppermint. Her eyes watching me. The mint scent seeps from the clouds and burns. My eyes are tearing. My nose is on fire. My throat is raw. I’m suffocating. But as the edges of my vision go gold and splotchy, I see her. The face with fiery red hair- and peppermint eyes. She’s crying.
“I did love you...”

I wake up in a cocoon of sweat. The kind that’s salty and hot and screams “boy, have you been having a tough night”. But her voice is still ringing in my ears and it’s haunting. Like the whisper of a ghost, the song of something that isn’t. Leave me alone or please come back!
I pick up my phone, cringing as the bright screen turns on. I scroll through contacts, until I find hers and bring my thumb to the call button.
She’s not the ghost.
“We” are the something that isn’t.
I am the one haunting her.
I look down to her profile picture, so beautiful by the beach. Then, I delete the contact. I delete myself from her life, because she needs a thousand things right now but a boyfriend she does not. If only I could’ve learnt how to help those peppermint eyes.

• nezi_nes

I love how you morphed the peppermint aspect of her into the tangible, especially this "The mint scent seeps from the clouds and burns. My eyes are tearing. My nose is on fire. My throat is raw. I’m suffocating. But as the edges of my vision go gold and splotchy, I see her. The face with fiery red hair- and peppermint eyes. ". Such amazing descriptions.

• Serendipity

A very powerful story, and nice use of 'peppermint'. Good job! :)