Ace2ad62 ca2f 4f92 90e4 72542c7be103

rainandsonder

currently reading "the goldfinch" and trying to learn spanish. if you like what i write, please leave a comment!

"i wish the world was flat like the old days/then i could travel just by folding a map," - death cab for cutie

lowercase is intentional.

A Very Late Thank-You, or 200 Followers??

18
    Yes, I know I'm late--- I have 220-ish followers now, and me hitting 200 followers was a couple of weeks, maybe even a month ago, but I feel the need to write this because, as most of you know, it's almost the end of the year, and I want to celebrate and look back on the past year for me.
    When I say that I never expected to get this far, I'm both lying and telling the truth. Lying because of course I knew that I was going to get to 200 followers. I saw the numbers slowly climb from 180 to 190 to 195 and so on. I wasn't surprised--- pleased, of course, but it didn't come as a shock to me, and I hope that doesn't make me seem shallow.
    And telling the truth because when I first started out, even when I had 50 or 100 followers, I didn't think I would get to 200. When I first started out, I wrote because my friends wrote, and if I'm being honest, I mostly either wrote fanfiction or the first two chapters of a terrible novel that I had no plans for and that I would never finish.
    I'll take this landmark as an opportunity to tell a bit about how I found Write the World and my experience on here. I doubt few people will care, not because I'm being self-pitying or because I think no one likes me on this site, and isn't that so sad, but because hardly anyone that was here when I first started is still here; in fact, most people that are still on here only know the Current Me, with some exceptions (camlily, Kahasai, and Abigail Sauble are a few that have been here a while.)
    My dad signed me up to Write the World a few months before I actually joined, because he knew I liked writing stories with my friends. At first, I wasn't interested. This would've been early 2017, nearly two years ago. But after a while, I started to silently stalk around on the site. I read and admired everyone else's work without liking or commenting on it (not because I was trying to be a jerk, but because I was too shy.) I wondered how anyone could write like that. I scrolled through the prompts and looked at the groups. I had my favorite writers before I even published anything.
    I was hesitant to put anything out there, but eventually as I read one the prompts, an idea popped into my head, and I found that I had to get it out. Looking back, it wasn't a particularly creative or interesting idea, but anyway. I wrote it and read it over and waited a while before publishing. I doubted myself. I know, publishing a piece doesn't seem like a big deal at all, much less that big of a deal, but I had never had any kind of social media or online presence before, and was severely shy. This piece was called Cat and Mouse, and you can still find it, although I suggest you don't, it's not very good. 
    Finally, I published it. My first piece. It never got any likes or comments, but that didn't bother or discourage me, I didn't expect much. Getting it out there was enough. I was excited and soon wrote another, even more awful piece about a sleepover gone wrong. It was then that I gained my first like, comment, and follow. I remember almost exactly what it said--- something like "Wow, this was so good!! I actually held my breath at the end!" The person that did this was GodsGirl04, and I'm really grateful for her. She encouraged me a lot, and soon I was publishing a piece every day.
    I had never taken writing seriously before. It was just a fun little hobby I did every now and then, and now it's one of things my life centers around. I published a piece for every prompt. I even encouraged one of my best friends, Paperbird, to join. I have, or at least I hope I have, improved a lot since my first piece, all thanks to this site. I've seen Write the World go through various "eras", I've seen people join and leave; they either have a sentimental farewell or fade away, it seems. I had a burnout and a long hiatus, but it's never entirely left me, and I'm back now. I can't predict the future, but I'll probably be on here for a long time to come.
    When I first started out, I didn't have a profile picture, bio, or message to readers for months. My first profile picture was also a picture of my dog, but a slightly different one. My first bio was something like "I mainly write short stories and poems," and something about my favorite genres. I also remember when I changed my username. My first one was the initials of my first and middle name, and my real last name.
    This is getting long, so anyway. 200 followers. Thank you. 
A few shout-outs:
Grace Croken: You were my favorite writer when I first joined. I read at least half of your poems, and when you followed me I freaked out. You aren't very active, but you're still an excellent writer, and gave me a lot of inspiration.
banjo: I don't know if you're active anymore, but you commented something on one of my pieces that really affected me. You said that the way my piece made you feel was how you wish you could make other people feel, and something about that was incredibly flattering to me. 
Paperbird: This one goes without saying. You joined the site based off my recommendation, and you're one of the best on it. You give helpful feedback and write beautifully.
Kaitlyn and Elizabeth Bennett: You both supported my very long, very awful novel, liking and commenting on every chapter despite the fact that you both could write a million times better than I could, and your encouragement and critiques really helped, even I've completely abandoned the novel now.
And many more.

• Ruthh

Congratulations!

• Catlover

Congrats!

• muppet

Well done you. You're one of my favorites on the site. You're open-minded, helpful, and nice, and additionally, you're a great writer. I was taking a phat hiatus from WTW, but I came back because you'd left nice comments on some of my stories [I forgot the titles, lmao, but I think they were the ones with Michael and Atta.] I really enjoyed reading this lil snippet thingy, too! Great stuff.

• ElephantAirlines

Congrats on 200 followers!

• paperbird

oof. welcome to 200, fellow veteran. you've improved so much, not only in basic writing skill, but also in expanding the horizons of what you're capable of. a year ago i could not have guessed that you'd be posting masterful and contemplative poems as well as a variety of humorous creations. you were my first liker, first commenter, first follower. thanks to you and may you receive many more followers.

YES CONGRATS!! Even though I haven't been here long, I can see how much you and your writing have grown. I look forward to reading more of your content and seeing you hit your next milestone! Love your work!

• AbigailSauble

BTW, you did a great job on your profile pic. =)

• AbigailSauble

This was well-written and sweet. =) Keep up the good work!

• Mary Wall

Congratulations! 200 is a huge number! Always keep writing!

• Kahasai

Oh my stars, this is so friggin sweet. This is the best thank you I've ever read.

Awesome!!!!! That's absolutely fantastic :DD
    Happy New Year, I hope it's really good for you and everybody else too :DD

• Dmoral13

It's heart warming to know that people go along way on this site, it gives me hope for myself. You are an inspiration for me, :). Also know that I freaking LOVE the fact Sonder is part of your user because I love that word and didn't think many people knew about it (that's why it's in my first competition I posted just recently)