Screen shot 2019 02 21 at 5.38.11 pm

spearmint

Write free

"Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it's the place where we find the deepest heartache."
—Iyanla Vanzant

As Cold as Stone (Chapter 7)

2
    "What about Dad?”

Mom took a deep breath, and began to scribble once more.

One day, he came down the stairs. Slapped me. Called me sick, evil, crazy. He didn't know what it was like, not having the only thing you truly loved, the one thing that understood you.

"You lost your voice. Why did you hurt us?"

That's the thing. I didn't just lose my voice. It was taken. Someone took my words. Someone took my power. I didn't know who it was. So I hurt anyone who could have done it. I hurt all of you. It was stupid of me, not trusting those I loved, not trusting those who loved me. And thus losing them.

Mom wears a sad smile throughout the silence. I finally understand how hard it must have been for her. And she does regret hurting us. Then another question pops into my head.
    “Why are you telling me any of this?”

Because you've put up with me. When Amy was around, I didn't realise I had only you. And I thought, now that Amy's gone, you'd leave me too. But here I am, telling you the whole story.

It strikes me then that she is right. It is just me and her. I lean over and give her a hug. "I'm sorry for being difficult, Mom."
She hugs me back, and starts crying. I feel really awful for thinking so badly of her when she's been having such a hard life. I didn't even notice her, but she was watching over me, even if she didn't always act it. Then I spot something that makes me feel a hundred time worse.

Amy stands on the other side of the window, betrayal, hurt, anger, and hate shining through her eyes.
Hard chapter, I hope it cleared up a few things, and does anyone read this anymore?

OK. so I'm starting to feel sorry for the mom, but I still like Amy and want to see her and Ian become friends again? I don't know :) I can't wait for more, the cliffhangers are really good :D

• spearmint

Only if people still read this, so yeah, I can make chapter 8 for you! I was about to give cuz it looked like no one wanted tot read this but ANYTHING FOR NEW READERS!!!!

• Syl

i need chapter 8!! are you still working on this?