Familiar

Xavier Nelson

This is going to be a series of poems about how someone deals with oppression.
Please help with EVERYTHING

Journal Entry #75

12
November 17th, 1945
When I was young, I learned to place my middle and pointer fingers down on the left side of the page (which is the right side of that red line as you can see). We called this indentation, which we used to write paragraphs and now journal entries. I learned that indentation was used to push us farther away from the line so our chance of tripping and falling outside of it would decrease. The line was bright red so our boundaries were clear. The other one was faded to give us a sense of freedom, but we always stopped short of it anyway. It was as if writing outside the lines would cause our reality to shatter. The little pieces of glass cut our delicate hands until they were the same color as that line. But that... That was just the warning. I learned the lines were red to tap into our fear of death. Writing too close to them might cause you to trip over a line and injure yourself, which life decided was a bad idea... Learning from your mistakes was not an option because we were never meant to make mistakes in the first place. Because if we made mistakes, that would prove that we weren't normal enough and being normal was the only weapon we had to stay afloat in a world that was birthed to destroy us. But, I never learned what life was like outside of those lines. Were people able to run free without having their life inspected like a lab rat? Or did Life grant you a sense of security until it forced you back into your little cage? Maybe the only way out would be to cut yourself out of the line and leave it mangled enough so it's not able to imprison you again. Well, I guess none of this even matters since I'll forever be a slave to this page.

1

• Xavier Nelson

I'll add that to a book of funny things people have said to me

• spearmint

I love how your writing is deep and dark. I will never think of notebook paper the same way ever again. Wow, never thought I’d say that.

• Xavier Nelson

Thank you so much for the kind comments. I don't think my writing is that good even though I'm proud of this piece. And yeah, I'm looking forward to fleshing out this series!

• korra4life

How can your writing be so amazing in such few words????? I just don't get it. But, anyway, this is a really amazing piece. I can't wait to read the next series of poems. Since you mentioned oppression, and based on the year, I'm guessing it has to do with World War II. I don't know who you'll use for this, though. There were so many people oppressed in that time period.
    And, for your earlier comment to @Quille, she wouldn't have received a notification for your response. That's the site's weakest point. The only way she could have seen it is if she came back to view this piece again.

• Misfit

I like how this grew from depressing to nihilistic.

• Mangolover

This is amazing!! I love your take on a simple lined sheet of paper and how you manipulated it to write about the boundaries of life!! You should add more to this and make it as a story/novel... would be interesting to hear more!!!! Have fun & keep writing :P

• Xavier Nelson

I'm not sure how this site works yet, so I'm not positive you'll see this, but I was wondering if you could review the memoir I posted last night? It's the thing I'm most proud of, so I want to make it even better.
    Thanks!

• Xavier Nelson

Thank you so much for reading it ^w^ and I'm glad you liked it ^^

Wow! I love the metaphor :D Also can't wait to see the poems that spring from this; I imagine they'll be fantastic :DD Awesome job!!!!