Vanessa Tebesigwa

Grew up

Vanessa Tebesigwa
    Yes, the girl who lives down the street grew up with me!  We grew up in a foreign country in East Africa where friends come in groups, but ours came in a pair. Riches couldn’t even impair our friendship. One day, my friend Ndulue was invited to a house where a huge flat screen T.V was hanging out space instead of being on it’s friend the wall. Food was allowed in the living room, even when whit drop of juice was spilled on the ground this living room was still clean and big. On the other side they were like fifty-two servants on each room of the house. Of course Ndulue didn’t leave me behind, she found a way to double her invite, and it surely worked fine. She told them that I was her sister and if mention sister in our country it means two or none.
    Poverty can’t change our friendship. We lived a small village were grown ups eat first and older kids then of course young ones last. Ndulue and I were the last ones to show up when they called the kids to grab food. We had came from playing whoever touches it last wins, our bodies were twisted and bony from all the running around. Here we were with only one bread stick left and two of us. Nobody cared to leave two breadsticks for two people because they knew at the end of the day Ndulue gets half, I get half.      
    Rumours at school did not even end our friendship. It was the first day of school when me Ndulue and I got separated into different classes. I was surrounded around folks  that claim themselves popular because they have “so much friends” that satisfy them enough to talk about other people’s business.  Just like reality shows,  on the other side Ndulue was in a class with kids that are called “weirdos”, but can mind their business. It all started in class when I raised my hand for more homework and the popular girl who has no time to do homework because she has to track down rumours everyday. She ruined our first day of school tradition by convincing us both of to get mad at each other with the silly rumors. Within the last out of school Ndulue was mad at  me because I supposedly called her a “ Greek Burger”, but it all worked out fine because she supposedly called me, “ Little Piglet.” I would continue telling our friendship flashbacks, but Ndulue is knocking on my door.