spearmint

Write free

I went back on the piece and edited it, so hopefully it's better...

As Cold as Stone (Chapter 2)

5
    My mom's mad. She has absolutely gone mad. I wish she would scream. Why can't she scream? It's better than seeing that evil look in her eyes. Glazed, emotionless. Does she feel any remorse for all the horrible things she's done? Does she even feel anything? Someone knocks on my door, and I pull myself out of my trance.
    "Come in?"
It's my sister, Amy. "Mom wants to see you," she whispers. We don't want that monster to hear us.
I nod. "Okay." I move past my sister, afraid for what's coming next. As I leave I hear her quiet words.
    "Be safe, Ian."
I shut the door.

I make my way down the stairs, trying not to let the carpet muffle my footfalls. Mom hates it when she thinks we're not coming to serve her. Believe me, I've been beat up for that mistake. And I never made it again. Mom gestures to the fireplace. I nod, and wordlessly get the fire started. She hates words.
     "Tea, Moth—," and I stop. She hates words. And I just said one. She looks up and glares that same glare that she's been giving me since she became different.

Mom gestures for me to come to her. That's all she ever does now. Gesture. I walk over, scared for my life. She raises her hand, and gives me one hard slap across the face. I flinch. Oh no. That was a serious mistake. The more I flinch, the more she hurts me. She throws another slap, on my face again. Then my back. Then she pushes me backward, gives me a look of loathing, and motions for me to go up. That's all I get for tonight. Thank goodness. I survived.

Today.

• December 26, 2018 - 11:14am (Now Viewing)

Hey, sorry I haven't been keeping up with this, been writing a lot recently and haven't had as much time to read as I want.
    I was really amazed with your writing in this piece and love how you show the characters' emotions through their actions and words more than saying how they feel :D I really feel like I don't like the mom in this :D Looking forward to reading the rest soon :DD

• spearmint

Yaaaassss! Also, for new readers, Chapter 3 is out.

• green.eyes.gurl

I like this! It's giving us a sense of how the mother acts, and what sets her off. Can't wait for the next chapter!!!

• spearmint

Yay! Thanks! I was starting to think no one wanted to read this, and I was about to discontinue.

• AbigailSauble

I think I'm missing something ... chapter 1, here I come, then! ;)
    Great descriptions and writing!