rainandsonder

"the audience is only safe when the story isn't about them."

they/them - probably listening to sufjan stevens

an important piece by outoftheblue- https://bit.ly/3dBxv5r

black lives matter & pride is over but the fight for lgbt+ rights is year round.

bio quote is from the magnus archives

The Reviewing Pro-Tips That They Don't Want You to Know (kidding, just some regular tips)

11
NOTE: This piece was originally published back in January, so it might be slightly outdated, but a lot of these tips still hold up and since the community changes so much and there are so many new users now, I decided to republish it in the hopes of maybe helping some people. 

I think all of us get annoyed by bad reviews. You log on or refresh your dashboard, and low and behold! A notification! And not just a comment or a like, but someone has taken the time to write you a review! Eagerly, you click on it and begin reading, ready to hear feedback on your piece.
    But your excitement fizzles out as you see that the review is about three lines. No highlights, and the answers to the questions are the bare minimum. "What about this piece delighted you?" "Everything." "What could the writer add?" "Nothing." "Additional comments?" "It was good."
    This is the absolute worst kind of review in my opinion. I would take an overly harsh review over this kind any day, because at least the former will help you improve the piece, whereas the latter serves absolutely no function.
    Of course, there are many reviews that aren't this, but aren't exactly an improvement over this. I'm talking about reviews that are extremely positive or tell you how much they like it without actually telling you why. I almost feel bad saying this because these people take the time to write reviews, and they're actually trying to help by being supportive. But in the end, they don't actually do much.
    If you've written a review that is similar to the ones I described above, don't feel bad, because that's what I used to do too. I like to think that I've improved since then; my reviews have gotten much longer and more detailed. So here I'm going to share what I do and my tips as to how to write a good review.

Criticism Isn't a Bad Thing
    I'm the co-runner of the Corner Writing Club (go check it out if you haven't already) and part of that is reading the forms that people fill out when they first join. There's one question that asks what your reviewing style is, and I'd say that half, if not more, of the people say that they mostly focus on the positive aspects of the piece or don't give criticism because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
    And I die a little inside every time that I read that. Because criticism, most of the time, is not going to hurt their feelings. Put yourself in the writer's shoes. When you publish a piece and ask for reviews, you want to hear not just positive feedback, but how you can improve the piece, right? You want to know if anything was off or if there was anything that could be better. You want to become a better writer. And, most of the time, criticism is not hurtful if it's phrased in a constructive way. If you say "you suck at dialogue lmao" then of course that'll be offensive, but if you say "I feel like this dialogue was a bit stiff, here's how you could fix that" then it'll just be helpful.

The Fundamentals

I probably should've put this first, but it's too late now. First of all, we have to understand what a review is. I read once when browsing the internet that a review is meant to help the writer achieve what they want to achieve in the piece (actually, that might have been in the FAQ section of WtW, I forget). So, relating to what I said above, only pointing out what worked in a piece is only completing half of the job. It's encouraging them, but it's not giving them any advice as to how to achieve their vision. 
    Another thing: you're trying to help them achieve what THEY want, not what YOU want. It's completely unhelpful to say "this piece was cool but I would like it if you made it so that the villain was actually an alien in disguise" or "it'd be neat if these characters fell in love." If you want to write a piece like that, go for it, but reviews should be about them and their piece, not your ideas or preferences.
    That being said, the first step is to understand what the writer wants to achieve. If you don't understand the piece, you probably shouldn't review it.

Be Detailed!
    When writing a review, there should always be a "because." Yes, you could say "this piece was good," but that's not helpful at all. More helpful: "this piece was good because..."
    By the way, saying that "this piece was good because I liked the imagery," while being a step up, still isn't the best. Try "I liked the imagery because it evoked vivid emotion and allowed me to really see what you wanted the readers to see." And then maybe you could add some lines that you particularly liked. 
    This goes for criticism, too! Don't say, "the characters don't feel realistic." In addition to being a bit harsh, it doesn't actually help the writer. Instead, you could say "I feel like you could expand on the main character. While he is intriguing, we don't know much about him and that makes it hard to empathize with him. I suggest defining his personality traits and letting them shine, in addition to showing the reader his hobbies and opinions, what he likes and doesn't like, so he seems more real." The latter is much, much more helpful, don't you think?    
    Don't just tell the writer what worked, tell them why it worked. And don't just tell them what could be improved, tell them why and how they could improve it.

Use. The. Highlighter.

I think the highlighting tool is one of my favorite parts of WtW. That seems like an exaggeration, and it kinda is, but seriously, the highlighter is amazing. It's far too often that I get not-so-great or even perfectly fine reviews that just don't use the highlighter, and it always irks me. Use it to your advantage!
    Things it can be used for:
    - showing a line that you particularly liked
    - showing a line that was stiff or awkward
    - informing the writer of a typo/error/grammar mistake
    - showing a place where more could be added
    -showing parts that could be removed
    -showing unnecessary words
    - showing parts that intrigued you or that you liked
    See what I mean? And that's not even a full list, I'm sure I could think of many more uses. The highlighting tool is. So. Helpful.

Take Your Time

Don't write a review just to get a badge. Don't write a review just for the sake of writing a review. These are all recipes for reviews that aren't very helpful. Write a review because you want to help the writer. 
    Reviews aren't meant to be written in two minutes. Put thought into them, take your time, read through the piece in question carefully. In Corner Writing Club, there's a reason we give you a whole week to review your pieces.

Well, those are all the tips I have as of right now. I hope they were helpful! And I don't mean to offend or call out anyone, I just want to help everyone, even good reviewers, to be even better, because I think it'll make Write the World a much better place. If you have any techniques you use, or anything to add, feel free to put that in a comment! And if you have any questions or anything, feel free to ask! I hope this was helpful!   

1

This is extremely helpful, thank you so much! :)

• Elissa Tham

thanks! this was so helpful

know i'm about a year late to this, but this is so helpful, thanks so much!
    (can i please link this piece in my message to readers?)

here are some helpful pieces about commenting, too!
    by opal drop: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/97159/version/184981
    by the corner writing club: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/81009/version/153141