Zoom

Takeacake

Jamaica

Mr. Raccoon! Mr. Raccoon!
Can't you play with me somehow?
No, I am eating dinner now.

I think dandelions are under appreciated. What do you think?

Amnesiac

Joe’s eyes popped open. He sat up in his bed and frantically searched the area he occupied; a plain, eggshell-coloured room. He squinted down at his lap as he felt a sudden migraine overcome him. He reached up to cradle his head and discovered medical bandages wrapped around his skull. The room was devoid of any other life aside from a startled, pale freckled-face girl. Joe hadn’t noticed her sitting out of peripheral vision at his bedside.

“Good afternoon. Bad dream?” She said.

“I guess. Am I in a hospital? Why am I here?”

“You fell down and bumped your head,”

“How did I fall?” he said. “I don’t remember.”

“You were jumping on the bed.”

“Did I trip?”

“Well, your momma called the doctor, and the doctor said ‘No more joeys jumping on the bed!’”

Joe scratched his chin. He realised he didn’t know the girl. She looked too young to be part of the medical staff. She wore a school’s uniform bearing a cross on her left breast. Her focus was on a novel.

“Who are you? Why are you here? How long have I been here? How long have I been unconscious?” He asked.

“You can call me Kiara. We’ve been friends for a while now, so I came to visit you. You’ve been bedridden for about a month, but you never remember, Joe,” She turned to face him. They shared worried expressions. “And you’ve been sleeping since I got here.”

“Oh, so my name is Joe. Why can’t I remember that or what’s happened up until now?”

He settled down for a minute of thought. He hoped to stimulate some memories of his identity. He closed his eyes and concentrated, but nothing came to him -- at least nothing that was clear. The lack of information was frustrating. He looked to his right. A pile of freshly-picked dandelions laid in a pile by the window sill. The sun beamed in across Joe’s lap. He watched as the wind carried the dandelion seeds across the room.  He looked to his left. He saw Kiara peacefully reading and shadows stretching in and out from under a closed door. On a nearby table were empty biodegradable trays, a column of Dole fruit cups, and a pair of tire black glasses. He faced the blank wall ahead of him then released a cool stream of air. He felt a sudden pang of sentiment well up inside him.

“Am I that bad of a guy that I don’t have any more visitors? Where is my family and other friends?”

“Just mono y mono today,” Kiara said.

They returned to silence. Joe was starting to get wavering feelings on whether he would ever remember himself and his life. He felt as though he was fading from existence, and that he -- along with his unrecoverable memories -- would remain a lost fragment of a mundane life. He turned to Kiara for more interrogating.

“So, you weren’t there when I fell?”

“No, I was.”

“Where did I fall-at home or in public?”

“Just outside the hospital, actually,” she said with a gesture toward the window.

“What, how?”

A giggle resonated from her throat. “The funniest thing. You were running to catch a stray cat that stole your unguarded lunch. You didn’t take heed to a strip of black ice and you slipped.” She explained, laughing between sentences. “It was a hard fall. I think you slid halfway across the block. If there were more ice, you might have caught up to the thief.”

“Pathetic,” he murmured in a sigh.

He slouched against the cotton pillows and quietly stared at his bony legs submerged under the covers. Kiara leaned over, poking both of her pinkies into the corners of Joe’s mouth.

“You’ve always been a klutz.” She pulled his lips into a positive parabola. “I feel guilty being the only one smiling here.” Joe didn’t share his thoughts. He simply gazed into her sympathetic eyes. He noticed that her freckles resembled constellations, especially three consecutive dark spots across the bridge of her nose.

“Orion’s Belt,” he whispered. She showed a glimpse of awe. She roughly ruffled his unruly afro. “It’s a shame your thick hair didn’t absorb more of the blow,” she said then returned to her seat. “I have one of your favorite books, by the way.” She revealed the book’s cover. It read Mormon the Wizard in large font. “I’ll read it to you.”

“Okay.”

Kiara read and Joe listened. Her voice was a melody that bounced off the walls. It reminded him of music, each spoken word a note that reverberated in his ears long after its cue. They talked for hours about random things -- school, art, Joe’s fascination for Japanese video games. Kiara did most of the talking and Joe did most of the listening. They shared many laughs until Joe was droopy-eyed and yawning. The moon cast its silver radiance on the decaying dandelions. Kiara reluctantly checked the time. A nurse would soon come up to sever their reunion. Kiara said her farewells and promised to visit the next day. He watched her go with ambivalent feelings of regret and excitement.

That night Joe dreamed he was a gondolier travelling on a dandelion spore through Kiara’s starry visage. The next day, Kiara returned to Joe’s room. She replaced the withered dandelions with a bouquet of fresh ones. She held up the weed before her lips with closed eyes.

“Please return to me, Joey,” she said. She opened her emerald eyes and watched as her wish sailed through the open window in a wisp of pollen.

She took a seat beside the sleeping patient and continued reading. Kiara flinched when Joe abruptly sat up in the bed and scanned the plain, eggshell-coloured room. He reached up to cradle his head as he felt a sudden migraine overcome him. Joe hadn’t noticed her sitting at his bedside.

“Good afternoon,” she greeted. “Bad dream?”

1