Dragon

Mangolover

I spit out words onto an innovation called paper hoping they all make sense...
FOOD!
I'm short.
so-called "depressant writer"
:)

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

HALP!!

3
OK, guys... I may be continuing playing an instrument soon. I'm struggling to choose between trombone or clarinet. In grade 5, we were given a choice of what instrument we would like to play. My first choice was clarinet & 2nd was trombone. I got trombone, but I really really wanted the clarinet.

So, I played trombone from grade 5-8. Now I'm in grade 9, and I'm really struggling on which one to choose. I half-know trombone, but I'm not amazing at it. I was thinking to try the clarinet but I'm not sure if it will be easy since I'm originally a brass player.

(I also think it would look good on my resume if I knew how to play 2 instruments.) However, trombone may be a little easier to learn for me since I already know it & I was part of many bands... 

Please help, I'm not sure anymore.
Thanks, Mangolover :D

• loveletterstosappho

i'm a bit biased because i'm a trombone player and LOVE the trombone so quitting it seems bizarre to me. if anything, i'd say that if you have time, try to learn both! if you have marching band v.s. concert band (although it's December so i doubt marching band is an option right now), use marching band as an opportunity to try a new instrument. you could also use joining a jazz band for that opportunity.

• Mangolover

Hmmmm, you sound right. (you guys all have good points...)

• paperbird

also it's better to switch now than later if you want to switch. trombone-->clarinet won't be an easy transition later into your music career.

• Mangolover

@she's-got-a-story , I've heard violin is hard & I don't have much time to learn something really hard since I'm in IB. (I don't know, that's just what I think)

• paperbird

this depends on the player, but i tried instruments in fifth grade too and i was awful at trombone and loved clarinet. i've now been playing clarinet for three years and i absolutely love it. the problem with trombone is that there are no definite notes--you have to guess where the slide should go for every phrase you play. the clarinet keys are fairly straightforward (the more keys you press down, the lower the note), but taking care of reeds is a hassle and it's very hard to reach the upper octaves. idk it's up to you but i would recommend clarinet. it's a lot of fun if you've got a commitment.

• Mangolover

Ok, thanks for your opinion!

it’s really your choice, but if you want to start clarinet, you should! don’t let unfamiliarity stand in your way.

• she's-got-a-story

if this year is your only year to switch, switch.
    if there's opportunity to switch later, stick with trombone and get at least one year better at it.
    if all else fails, go to violin!!!

• Lee Fudge

You should stick with what you know, in my opinion.