Img 6160

harshitarrao

Reading is believing, writing is creating.

I live through the characters I create with ink and paper, for they are far better people than I could ever be.

The Smoke after the Fire

"May I go to the bathroom?" she asked her teacher, hoping no one else had heard her voice crack slightly. Her teacher nodded at her, and she walked out as quickly as she could without running, feeling thirty-two pairs of eyes on her. As soon as she was out the door, she managed to run to the end of the corridor before she collapsed, the sobs she'd been holding in bursting out all at once. She sat on the empty steps looking onto the deserted parking lot, contemplating what she had done to deserve her life. 

Suddenly, she felt like someone was watching her. Turning around, she saw a guy standing there behind her in silence. "Do you mind if I sit with you?" he asked, gesturing to the stair next to her. She shrugged, relived that he hadn't asked if she was okay or what had happened. He sat himself down beside her, his warm hand brushing against her cold one. "You're freezing!" he exclaimed, shrugging off his jacket and putting around her. She could have sworn she saw a blush there.

In a matter of seconds, there tears were gone, unfortunately not taking the hollow feeling in her stomache with it. Instead she felt something familiar creep into her with it. The familiar feeling that she wanted to run away and never come back. "Uhh... I'm sorry you-" she satrted, but he cut her off, "Don't apologize."

"I don't normally cry in front of people." 

"Don't worry about it," he answered, making to put his arms around her. 

"Don't touch me. Why did you come out here?"

"I could tell you weren't okay, so I thought I'd come and check for myself."

"I'm sorry you felt the need to come give me company."

"I'm sorry I butted in. I realize that I shouldn't have, but I just couldn't help it."

"WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE HELPED IT THEN!" she yelled, her voice raising with every word. "This is none of your buisness. Don't think I haven't noticed you watching me. If you're thinking you can do something to make what you did better, it's not going to happen."

"I said I'm sorry. You're the one crying in the cold, I thought you might appreciate the company."

"Well I don't. Just go."

Without another word he left, leaving her in a whirlwind of emotions. Once upon a time , she would have been extremely glad to have him by her side, his protective arms around her, the smell of his strong deodrant wafting up to her. Once upon a time, she would have been glad to have her best friend to hold her as she cried, but she knew that was ridiculous. The reason you're crying and the person you cry on can't be the same person. It just doesn't work that way.

After all, when the fire had been strong, it had scorched many a thing. I guess it was only fitting that when the fire died out, it would be felt strongly.