Img 1958

Mary Wall

Aspiring Author
Dancer
Bookdragon
Icecream Consumer
Daughter of the King
Dessert Craver
Homeschooler
Adventurer
Dreamer
Coffee Drinker
Fangirling over the Ranger Apprentice Series
ISFJ

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

The Inner Thoughts of Darina Marcus

PROMPT: Polar Opposite

4
    That girl curled up in the corner of the park bench? That's Darina Marcus. 
    She'd dying.
    Yep. 
    But she told me that she'd never let it get her down. Maybe you're wondering who I am. Well, my identity will be shock to you, no matter how gently I break it to you, so I'll just do it. 
   I'm Darina's diary. She named me Rene a long time ago. On her tenth birthday, her mom, the beautiful Gwen, gave me to her. I'll never forget the look on her face when she unwrapped me. Total disbelief. And I'll never forget the first thing she said.
    " What's this? I wanted a Barbie!"
    But I grew on her, I think. My pages are nearly filled up and my leather binding is cracking. She's been saving me by only writing small entry's and in short sentences.
    Here's the very first thing she wrote in me:

Dear whats-your-name,
"I don't know what to write. Mama thinks I should write my feelings in here. Somehow it's supposed to help me, kinda like therapy. Like I need therapy."

See? We had a rough start, but we've gone through so much. Like when her brother, now a marine in the U.S. army, tried to read me when only a few weeks after I was given to Darina. A couple bruises and a sore shoulder later, I was saved and Josh had learned not to touch me. 
    Anyway, here's another entry from a few months ago, just after she'd found out she had only a few months to live:

Dear Rene,
"I'm dying. I'd be scared if I didn't know where I'm going. But I know I'll go to somewhere way better than this, somewhere where this pain will go away forever. Remind me never to give up living. I want to enjoy my last days, to make them count. I don't want anyone to say that I moped for my last few months."

She promised me over and over that she'd keep on going, that she'd be happy despite everything. She broke that promise today. She's moping. On a park bench, of all places. The three months that the doctors predicted is almost up. Her boyfriend has loyally stood by her the whole time. The boyfriend she hoped to marry someday. 
    You can see me there, clutched to her chest as it rose and fell slowly, painfully. She was writing in me just a moment ago. Now... I think my journey, being the friend and confidante of Darina Marcus, is over.

Goodbye, my wonderful girl.

1

• Mary Wall

Great idea! I could actually do something with that...:)

• palindrome

Maybe write the second after her death, maybe when her mom/brother/boyfriend/somebody is reading it? IDK but this is really cool!

• Mary Wall

Thanks @Rose, Thorn! That means a lot to me! I'm not sure what I would write about if I did a second. Any ideas? Maybe her funeral?

• Rose, Thorn

aww I love this. Please make a second

• Mangolover

Np :D

• Mary Wall

Thanks, Mangolover!

• Mangolover

A nice dated, letter-style piece! Great job on this and your descriptions are well-enhanced :D Have fun & keep writing :P