Hannah Caple

2 Perfect 2 Change

Recreational basketball taught my team, the Collins-Maxwell Raiders, to try and beat our opponent, but we didn’t realize that, one-day, our opponents would become our friends and teammates. One of our archrivals during rec basketball was Baxter. We always wanted to beat them with a passion, but I don’t know why. We always blew them out. I felt kind of bad for them, but it was fun stealing the ball. All of the players on my team had no idea that we would start sharing sports with them in seventh grade, but it was a great thing we did.
            Our first practice of middle school basketball was nerve-wracking. I, along with the rest of the Collins-Maxwell girls, was anxious to play with our, once, rivals. Our first practice was held in Baxter, which is twenty minutes away. When we arrived, we walked down the hallway that seemed five miles long. I could feel my heart beating inside my chest. Then, we strutted into the gymnasium because we thought we were the top dogs. During the strutting, we exchanged looks with the Baxter girls. We were completely segregated at the beginning of the practice.
            The first thing on the agenda was getting into a big circle to exchange our names. I may have followed a majority of them on Instagram before hand to get an idea of what they were like and start to learn their names. After we exchanged names, we started stretching, still segregated; our coaches placed us within the Baxter girls. We were forced to get to know each other. Three of the Baxter girls near me seemed very nice. I got to know them better throughout the practice. My judgment was way off the mark on the Baxter girls.
            After a couple weeks, we exchanged Snapchats, and started snapping. Snapping helped me further our friendships, especially since we live twenty minutes apart. Technology has helped me have friendships all over Iowa. We may not go to the same school, but that cant stop me from having friends. Since seventh grade, the three Baxter girls have been my best friends. I have met so many cool people from Baxter, and I’m blessed to have the opportunity of meeting them. They hold a very special place in my heart. They will never be forgotten when the cycle of life takes us in different directions.