Eaccd622 66c5 48ab 878f 4aff3503487b

paperbird

hope no one was offended; all of the entries were amazing, and narrowing it down was a tough process.

short contest winners!!

10
around five days ago i started a one-sentence contest similar to stripedfly's.  i got 26 entries, and it was very hard to narrow down to just three.  i included an honorable mention too, which won't receive a prize but ought to be mentioned for its excellence.

without further ado: 

1st Place
I wish that I could wrap you in a warm embrace one last time, but as my spirit is tossed around in the air like a ship lost at sea, I'm unable to do anything but watch as you weep over my earthbound grave. -Anha
i loved this one for a number of reasons.  it was perhaps the most descriptive entry i got, and the language flows beautifully unlike any other.  anha's writing never disappoints.  it's also such a unique concept---we hear of people grieving for the loss of loved ones all the time, but we never hear the dead spirit saddened by the grieving loved ones.  anha will receive a detailed review.  if you have a request, please leave it in the comments.

2nd Place
I wish that I could be the type of person who walks into a room and makes the walls fall down. -Isabella Swenson
this particularly spoke to me as a person with social anxiety.  isabella swenson's words portray so much.  i absolutely love the metaphor---so simple, and yet the meaning is at once so broad and so particular... really good entry.  i will read through isabella swenson's published work and like the pieces that i genuinely enjoyed.

3rd Place
I wish that I could've been by your side, I wish I could've held your hand and told you not to jump, I wish I could've been able to pull you out of the pit of despair. - palindrome
again, such an interesting metaphor!  the repetition is interesting, the idea is thoughtful, the wording is almost professional.  the way that palindrome sets the metaphor in phrases with conjunctive commas is especially perfect, i think.  i will read through palindrome's published work and like five pieces that i genuinely enjoyed.

Honorable Mention
I wish that I could learn to see the beauty of every single moment in life, learn to find joy even in the simplest things, and face each morning with a smile on my face, like the little girl I used to be. -Secret Rose
anyone can closely relate to the nostalgic nature of this sentence.  in youth we tend to be so lively and carefree--a tendency which fades as we grow older.  in the words she used, secret rose conveyed powerful emotion.  she won't receive a prize but i thought it worth mentioning.

thank you for all of the support on this!  i wasn't sure how it would go and i'm thrilled at all the entries i received.  the original contest is here.  i'll get to the prizes asap.  thank you!! <3

• Isabella Swenson

Thank you so much!

• paperbird

@anha will do!

wait, what? first place?? no way! thank you paperbird! i found it interesting that you didn't pick up on the elemental imagery in my entry tho (earth, water, etc), but that doesn't make it any less fulfilling!
    if i could get you to review my piece 'beautiful woman' that would be amazing!

• Secret Rose

Aww thanks!

• Lee Fudge

Congrats all particapants!

• Silver Pen

I forgot if I entered (terrible, right?), but congrats anyways!

• nevaredhp

Beautiful picks!

Ditto what @everybodyelse is saying and good choices! :DD

• korra4life

Congrats everyone!

• Mangolover

Congrats to all! Great job to all contestants & winners!!! :D

• Christy Wisdom

Congrats, you guys!