Kaitlyn Tharp

December in Kentucky is a special kind of special.

December in Kentucky.

The 335th day of the year, 336 in leap years, starts a special month to my family and me. December 1st is the official day that my mother drags the Christmas tree and other decorations out of the attic to put up. December 1st starts the craziness at my mother's job as everybody is trying to get their Christmas lists completed. The sales begin. The excitement begins. Sometimes sadness begins. But my family makes it better. 
    Family is a noun that means a lot to a lot of people. In my little hometown, everybody is close to everybody. We have family that is blood and we have family that isn't. During the month of December, families get together to eat delicious food, opening presents from people you truly care about and listen to the story of Jesus. We all bond. It may be the only time out of the year that we see some family members, we still cherish every bit of it. We cherish it because our hometown cares about each other. No matter who you are, at least one person cares about you. Because that's how we go. 
    Other than family, the thing that matters to me most about the month of December is Christmas. The 24th day of the month my mother, brothers and I all pile into the car to go to my grandmas. This year is the 1st time were having it in her new house and I am beyond stoked about it. We wait until everybody is there then we eat amazing food that my grandma and aunts have all made. After the food, we listen to the Christmas story read from my great uncle Jimbo. He explains every year the meaning of Christmas and reads the story of the Bible to all of us. It is a very important part of Christmas to us so we make sure to say it every year. After we listen to the story, we open our presents! My great grandma gets everybody at least one thing. She has 4 kids, 7 grandkids, and about 12 great-grandkids. Everything she gets me every single year means a lot to me. Especially since I don't know how many years I have left with her. The 25th day of December is the day I open presents from my parents and brothers. We wait until 11:30 to go to my other grandparents Christmas. We eat and open presents there as well and its a very special moment for the whole family. After that part of Christmas, I go to celebrate with my boyfriend at his apartment. Anything he gets me will be very dear to my heart as I care for him so much. 
    Sadness also overcomes my emotions around the holiday season as my very close ones have lost their dads. I recently found out that my dad has a heart problem that could be fatal if left untreated. I cannot imagine what my life will be like without him. Sometimes we bicker back and forth but it changes at the end of the day. We always forgive and forget. As for my friends, I still get sad about it. They have to live without their dad now. They have to spend Christmas and birthdays without their dads. They have to make Christmas a day for happiness and sadness as they have another anniversary of their dads passing. My heart is always held dearly to them during this season. It has made me realize why some people don't like the holiday season. It makes me realize why some people don't put up Christmas lights anymore or dread the 1st day of December. It makes me realize that sometimes you need to be extra nice to people, no matter how upset they are. 
    December is overall a great month for me. It holds a special place in my heart. Christmas and a New Year. What could be better than that? Decmber is my favorite month of the year and I hope I explained why. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

This is really fantastic!!!
    BTW, I live in Kentucky too.... :D