Wtw pfp

stripedfly

I like cats.

I prefer being alone, cold to heat, and chocolate over broccoli.

#paperbirdq&q | stripedfly1001

2
1. What's the story behind your profile picture? 
My Great-Uncle Russell died a few days ago (he was 92), and that candle's for him. 

2. When you start a "free writing" piece, do you like the font better when it's the editing font or the published font? 
The published one.

3. What movie scarred you for life as a child?  does it still freak you out? 
Hmm... I would say the Emoji Movie, but I didn't see that when I was a kid. Probably Mulan 2, then. I loved the original movie, but seeing what they did to the characters was horrifying for me.

4. Look up "horoscope personalities."  which one fits you? 
Pisces.

5. Do you consider yourself to a good writer? (be honest) 
Umm, you said be honest, so... yes, I do. I'm not trying to be critical--some people (like my sister) aren't very good at writing but can do something else amazingly well, like in her case, drawing. I can't draw. We're all good at something, and my talent is writing, as I've been told by Professor Someone (I think it was Johnson) at Yale. 

6. So, as mentioned earlier, the q&a trend was all the rage in september/october.  do you know who started it? 
I believe it was BlueWriter. They said they were doing this thing where they answered some answers about themselves in an activity book, put it on WtW, and the rest is history.

7. What's one popular franchise you think is downright bad? 
Harry Potter. Please don't kill me for this, but I find it absolutely deplorable. If you want more details let me know in the comments.

8. What do you think happens when you die? 
The Catholic take--we are judged perfectly by God and then sent to heaven, hell, or purgatory.

9. Describe your ideal life (job, marriage, kids, death, etc) 
I work as a historian/teacher while also being a famous author. I marry a nice guy in my late twenties, have a ton of kids with him, and die in my nineties.

10. What is one food you're very territorial of?  in other words, if you found it in your fridge, you wouldn't let anyone else eat it. 
Ooh, that's a hard one. Caramel, I guess. But no one else in my family likes it except for me, anyway XD.

11. Should pineapple be on pizza? 
Really, Paperbird? XD I've said it before--yes, it should be on pizza, and those who deny that are a bunch of pineapple-haters.

12. Abortion: yes or no?  explain.  (if you don't like politics you can skip this question) 
No. I believe that an unborn child is still human, only unborn. 

13. What aspect of the traditional science fiction future scares you most?  (e.g., robots, global warming, aliens, etc.) 
Aliens. Personal reasons that I don't particularly want to disclose.

14. Why do you think people find pleasure in answering questions about themselves online?
LOL because deep down inside we're all a bunch of stupid narcissists XD.

• paperbird

Huh. Those are good reasons, and I'm glad you have a motivation for disliking it.
    Harry was the hero at the end (he defeated Voldemort and 5 of the 7 Horcruxes), but Neville's growth showed his character arc. He started as this pudgy little boy who couldn't do anything, and ended up killing Nagini and fighting for good.
    She couldn't have introduced the fact that the diary was a Horcrux until late into the series, because until Book 6, she wanted to keep anonymous how powerful Voldemort was. It wasn't like she decided last minute that it would be a good plotline--she had the whole series laid out before she started Book 1.
    Harry's character is definitely awful, I think we're agreed on that. But he is imperfect, messes up, shouts at his friends, etc. because he's actually a pure soul. Voldemort can feel only anger and evil, but Harry makes connections with others and is imperfect like any true human.
    Voldemort definitely is a cliche, but that's because he's the embodiment of a human who can do no good--it was the way he was conceived. Harry, however, is not a cliche. As stated earlier, he's imperfect and sucky sometimes, but he remains good at heart. And anyway, sometimes you need cliches to tell a good story.
    The Room of Requirement's purpose is to benefit the seeker, but it also teaches Harry lessons about what he can and cannot want. For example, he can't follow Malfoy into the Room because he cannot want the same thing as him.
    The reason that Harry is The Chosen One is because Voldemort killed his parents. When Voldemort did this, he gave Harry a reason to fight and a desire to do good and kill Voldemort--that's what makes him special.

• stripedfly

@Paperbird, (please don't be offended by this, I know you love Harry Potter, and I mean nothing against you, but I'm not going to lie either) I find the whole plot pretty stupid. I mean, come one, she adds things into the series pretty late and pretty conveniently, like that room that appeared in the wall ( I forget what it's called, sorry.) And she said nothing about that journal/notebook thing in the second book being a horcrux until very late in the series. Also, Harry's character is awful--what, he's the only one who's allowed to mess up? Is he the "golden boy" because he was born like that? What did he do to deserve it? And her characters are dumb cliches: the villains can only do evil, the heroes can only do good. And the fact that Neville was the hero in the end, WTH??? HARRY was the protagonist. And the writing is not very good in my opinion, either.

• paperbird

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like he lived a long life, though.
    Fellow Pisces!
    I guess I'm a pineapple-hater now. But I love pineapple! I just think that the combination is unnatural and goes against everything humanity has stood for. Someday I'm going to start a movement.
    Also, I was wondering why you hate Harry Potter so much. I've talked to a lot of people who think the book series is too long or boring, but you might be the first to say it's "deplorable." I'm fine with that opinion--you've given the series a fair shot--but I'm just kind of wondering what it is you don't like about it. The writing style? The characters? Is it boring? Or do you just not like it for its popularity?

• Tziporah Dorfman

So sorry for your loss! Agreed about Harry Potter, sorry to all fans! Well, then I guess I'm an awful pineapple-hater. Oh well. There goes my future.

• korra4life

Sorry for your loss and I totally agree: Harry Potter is a terrible franchise

• stripedfly

@Lee Fudge thanks, man

• Lee Fudge

Sorry for your loss.