pencils.and.paper.roses

Director
NERD
Hopeless romantic
Equally hopeless Fangirl™️
16
Early senior
Queen
The Lumineers
Bird lover
Fascinated by Great Britain
Love M. Night Shyamalan movies
In love with Rami Malek
❤️

This tells the story of my life through music. Enjoy. :D

Awesome Mix Vol. 1

PROMPT: Mixtape

4
Music; an impossible combination of banging, strumming strings, and the human voice. So confusing, yet so wonderful. And most Americans will spend an average of 32 hours per week listening to it. Most people also have a "soundtrack to their life", filled with songs that mean a lot to them, songs that helped them through a time of their life, and songs that they simply love.

This is mine.

1. Candlelight Eyes by Alan Gogell (Years 0-3). This is a wordless tune, somewhat repetitive yet beautiful and inspiring. But how fitting is this for a baby, eh?

2. Free to Be Me by Francesca Battistelli (Years 4-5). A bright, happy tune telling about the singer and what she can do. The anthem of a 4-year old, you can't deny this. We were living with our great-grandmother at this time, so I was especially close to her then.

3. Born to Be Free by Moriah Peters (Year 6). Truly a song of a 6-year old and their beautiful minds and daydreams. 

4. Prima Donna from Phantom of The Opera (Years 7-8). Every 7-year old is the prima donna in their mind, are they not?

5. Holdin' Out by The Lumineers (Years 9-10). At this time in my life, we were (quite literally) dirt poor. We, a family of 6 people, were staying in a tiny house with someone else, who was paying half of our rent. However, at the tender age of 9 years old, I was almost totally oblivious to this, hence the next song.

6. Daydreamer by Adele (Year 9). As stated above, I was oblivious of our dirt-poor-ness, and I would often live like a regular girl. However, I would also descend into daydreams (title) more often than you would expect.

7. Fearless by Jasmine Murray (Year 10). We moved out of the tiny house from my 9th year, into a house that was not much bigger. Halfway through our time there, my cousin came to stay with us. She was coming because of behavior problems that her mom hoped we could help with. It was not a happy time (hence the song). She left after 7 months, to our great joy, but sadly no different than when she arrived.

8. Best Day of My Life by American Authors (Years 11-12). So many things happened in these 2 years. We went on the first real family vacation of my life. I got my first pet. We moved out of the tiny rented house and into a house of our own, one that we bought. And at the end of my twelfth year, my 13th birthday was the first to happen in our new home. It was, without a doubt, the best 2 years of my life (so far!).

9. Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes (Years 12-13. This was the first year spent in our new home. We took the time to make the house our own, to meet the neighbors and their children (some of whom we're still friends with), and get used to it. It became our home (title).

10. Called Me Higher by All Sons and Daughters (School Year of Year 13). That school year was one that changed my life. I started at a real school with other people for the first time (a virtual school, thought that matters not) and had a moment that changed the course of my future. I was sitting and working one day, and I suddenly felt called to missions work (title). I've been working toward it ever since.

11. Make You Feel My Love by Adele (Year 14). I discovered love this year with someone I hadn't known for years (unlike everyone else I'd liked.). His name was Mikah. Sadly, he didn't return my affections, as far as I know. I never worked up the courage to tell him, and it faded by the time I did.

12. Last, but absolutely NOT least, Follow Your Fire by Kodaline. This song now has special meaning to me, because I found it just as my writing passion began to really blossom and I began my quest for publishing. So now I'm following my fire, writing my words and living my dream. 

:)
NOTE: All credit for the title goes to Marvel, who named Peter Quill's cassette in Guardians of the Galaxy "Awesome Mix Vol. 1". I just thought it was fitting for this piece. :P

• Johanna

Yesss Awesome Mix Vol 1!! I love how detailed this is! You told a story through 12 songs, and that's amazing :)

• korra4life

Love this and the title! I feel so unoriginal (my piece would have been called this as well since I loved that playlist).
    I don't think there are songs to sum up my life but I'll try for this prompt.
    I totally feel you on so many things. The only thing I'm willing to say is: My worst crush happened in middle school, too, and I was a nightmare. I never mustered the courage to say anything either

• pencils.and.paper.roses

Oh, sorry XD Feel free! I won't hold you to anything. Or you could call it Awesome Mix Vol. 2!

• rosemarywisdom

Damn it, I was gonna name my piece that XD