Dsc 3077

Victoria Penning

b-day is Jan 1st
17
11 siblings
airsofter
writer
baker
coffee drinker
fangirl of Keeper of the Lost Cities
a goof
town & country girl
Author of Evidence for Angels
Jesus loves you, and I do too.

Joshua is just a character I made up for the moment, but I do know for certain that this event did happen, and I wish with all my heart that I had been there to see it. :) Enjoy the story, and have a merry Christmas!!! :D

The Savior

3
It was cold. The crisp air bit at every body part that was exposed to the frigid weather. He reached up and wiped his running nose on his sleeve for the tenth time. He stood and wandered around the flock of sheep that were packed tightly together. He stamped with every step to get the blood flowing, and to warm up the lower half of his body. He sniffed again, wishing that the sun would come sooner. His gaze wandered around the dark meadow, trying to keep himself occupied, and looking for any wandering sheep, but even the animals knew better than to leave the warmth. 

"Joshua! Do not let your gaze wander from your flock!" 

Joshua returned his gaze to his families flock, then returned his body to the cold stone that he had been sitting upon. 

All seemed to be normal upon the meadow, until the sheep began to stir restlessly, then men stood and wandered, uncertain about what was going on. Joshua jumped to his feet and rushed to his small lock, tenderly and gently calming the sheep, and calling them each by name. He herded them closer together and continued to speak in a quiet voice. As if someone had lit the largest lamp Joshua had ever seen, a light appeared at the top of the rise to his right. He fell from his crouched position into the wet dewy grass in shock when a man appeared in the light. The other shepherds froze and the sheep began to bleet in fear. Joshua was frozen. What could this be? The man spoke in a loud and clear voice:

"Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger."

The fear slowly seeped from Joshua's heart and an excitement began fill him. He was eager to find this child, but was shocked once more when the whole heavens seemed to glow with a holy light, and voices, so many voices, filled the sky. Each singing together in harmony, "Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!"

Shivers racked Joshua's body and goosebumps ran up and down his arms. He turned to the other men as his heart pounded in excitement. They all were alight with a fire of expectation. 

"Let us now go down to Bethlehem and see this thing that has come to pass, which the Lord has made known to us." 

The voices all rang with the same words, "Come! Let us go!" They all left their flocks and ran down the small footpath to the village of Bethlehem below. Joshua took off right behind them. He didn't know where they were going, but he knew that they were going in the right direction. When the men in front of him stopped running, he quickly maneuvered to the front so that he could see what it was. He stopped dead in his tracks as an emotion of reverence and awe came over him. He stared at the sight, as did the others. There, in the lowliest place of all for a Savior to be, was a small stable. The gentle cows, the sheep and a young donkey stood to the side as if they too understood the power of the moment. A man and a woman sat beside a manger filled with hay, but within the hay was what had shocked them all to silence. A babe. A small, sweet little bundle of tiny features, lay in the hay. This was what they had come to see. This was the babe that was their Savior. Joshua felt overwhelmed. He sank to his knees, and the other shepherds followed. After a moment of sitting there, Joshua crept forward a little more, and peered into the manger. The baby boys eyes peered back up at him. He swallowed a lump in his throat, an reached a hand in. The babes tiny little hand reached up and met his, grasping his fingers. He swallowed again, but the tears and the joy in his heart could not be contained. He knelt once again, fully knowing that this child, was the Christ. Their Savior.